• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trailer conversion

I have a friend whos selling a boat trailer for 500. its in great condition. equipped with duel axles and electric brakes on at least one axle.

wondering about how much it would take ($$ and experience) to convert the trailer to a car hauler for the xj. i know i will have to add some crossmembers and a wood floor. anything else?

reason he upgraded is he upgraded to a 3 axle for the same boat.

What size boat was it carrying. If it can hold 5 people and isnt a row boat, Id say it can hold a Jeep.

Probably has a hand winch as well.

You'd have to know the weight capacity of the axles adn trailer, the total length and the length of the planned bed. etc. Just be cautious, my dad had the tongue break on a log splitter and watched it do somersaults into some guys yard. He was blessed it didn't hit anybody or go into oncoming traffic.

Matt

Check the width,car haulers are about the widest trailers out there.

PM steagall9301

He converted a boat trailer to a car hauler with good luck.

XJoshua said:
What size boat was it carrying. If it can hold 5 people and isnt a row boat, Id say it can hold a Jeep.

i dont know the size of the boat. i do know he upgraded to the tripple axle trailer though so i believe its a big boat.

hadfield4wd said:
Probably has a hand winch as well.

You'd have to know the weight capacity of the axles adn trailer, the total length and the length of the planned bed. etc. Just be cautious, my dad had the tongue break on a log splitter and watched it do somersaults into some guys yard. He was blessed it didn't hit anybody or go into oncoming traffic.

Matt

the axles are 2 3500 lb trailer axles and at least one with brakes. the trailer length i belive is 15 feet. i dont know if it includes the tounge though.

thanks
stewie

I convertered a boat trailer to my jeep hauler. The boat that used the trailer was a 28 footer. I ended up taking 5' out of the tongue and added 4' to the length. The deck ended up being 16' long. I also had to do a spring under on the trailer but it still sits a little higher than most car haulers.

This was a salt water trailer so it was galvanized.....no rust.

It is also 79" between the weels.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

cool. thanks Brian

Back