• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door window regulator?

sworks87

NAXJA Forum User
Well as most xj's my 99 2 door auto regulator broke and i cant find a regulator anywhere for under 350$ which is damn right WAY TOO $$$

Anyone know what to do?

Yeah, that's a tough one. My buddy's late model 2-door manual regulator broke and he can't find a replacement.

And before anyone suggests it, the 2-door regulator is different from a front 4-door regulator.

Depending on what broke you can find kits to repair those. I forget the site but it was pretty much a metal fork shaped piece that replaces the plastic teeth which the worm gear rides on.

In my buddy's case, it was not THAT part that broke. On a 2-door regulator, there are two tracks that connect to the glass (instead of just one on a 4-door). One end of the worm gear goes UP one track to raise the window. The other end goes DOWN the other track to lower the window.

The worm gear is guided by plastic tubing. When this plastic tubing breaks, the worm gear will go willy-nilly all over the place and not move the glass. And there is NO way to reattach the plastic tubing. We've tried. :)

It's usually cheaper and easier to just buy a new (used) door from the salvage yards...

That's the problem. Around here at least, 97+ XJs can be hard to find in a junkyard. A 97+ 2-door is even harder to find.

Back