• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with death wobble

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I just got off the phone with a Buddy who was heading to class. I told him I would post up a thread for him to get it going while he is in class. Hopefully we will have some clarification for him by the tiime he is out. He seemed rather stressed about what just happened. He stated that he was getting onto the freeway and as he passed 55 mph his steering wheel began to violently shake back and forth. We recently installed RE 4.5" superflex lift. Allignment was done and it has been driving fine the last few days. He put on his 32" tires today. This may have been the first time he had tried to drive on the freeway. The kit did not come with a drop pitman arm. Should we have installed one? If not, then what? Anybody with the death wobble want to chime in. If you are running 4.5" lift on 32's with no wobble then what did you do?

check for loose bolts, especially the trackbar, did he get his new tires balanced?

Got them balanced twice. He had the 32's mounted and balanced this morning. Then when he got on the freeway and started vibrating he assumed they balanced his tires wrong. He took it back and they were perfectly balanced. So that isn't the issue. He didn't have the vibs with the factory 28" tires but has them now. He also did his allignment himself in his driveway so there could be an issue there. I trust a laser a lot more then I trust my eyesight.

i read about that in your socal thread... EVERY, single, time ive done a tape measure alignment, it's taken 2 tries. it'll look good, till you go around the block... maybe re-check it? lazers sound expensive.

what year is the jeep?

my 97 on 31s with the 4.5" SF kit had no issues.

make sure everything is tight. most alignment shops do free checks, get the measurements taken again.

It's an 01. I put this thread on my local chapter and here and it seems that the consensus is to check and tighten everything again and have a pro do the allignment. Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks guys.

Back