• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help with death wobble

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys I talked with John earlier and he was on his way to class and had some HORRIBLE death wobble getting onto the freeway. I told him I would get a thread started for him while he was in class.
He stated he was speeding up and had just passed 55 mph when his steering wheel starting violently shacking left and right. It wouldn't stop until he came to a complete stop. We just installed his RE 4.5" superflex lift. Allignment was done and it has been driving fine the last few days. The kit did not come with a drop pitman arm. Should we have installed one? If not, then what? Anybody with the death wobble want to chime in. If you are running 4.5" lift on 32's with no wobble then what did you do?

had a similar problem even though we thought the allignment was on we re did it and that solved the problem

had a similar problem even though we thought the allignment was on we re did it and that solved the problem

That might just be the problem. He didn't do the modern laser guided alignment in a shop. He did the old fashion kind in his driveway with a tapemeasure. Thanks for your input.

I started out with mine a 1/4 out in front \ / .. This stoped it..So i slowly pulled it in, a little at a time till i got wobble back, then back it out ...havent had a problem..Did the wifes the same way..Hers is a 4.5 on 32's..

I started out with mine a 1/4 out in front \ / .. This stoped it..So i slowly pulled it in, a little at a time till i got wobble back, then back it out ...havent had a problem..Did the wifes the same way..Hers is a 4.5 on 32's..

Thanks for the comment. That is exactly what John was looking for.

Alright guys I talked with John earlier and he was on his way to class and had some HORRIBLE death wobble getting onto the freeway. I told him I would get a thread started for him while he was in class.
He stated he was speeding up and had just passed 55 mph when his steering wheel starting violently shacking left and right. It wouldn't stop until he came to a complete stop. We just installed his RE 4.5" superflex lift. Allignment was done and it has been driving fine the last few days. The kit did not come with a drop pitman arm. Should we have installed one? If not, then what? Anybody with the death wobble want to chime in. If you are running 4.5" lift on 32's with no wobble then what did you do?

i ran the same amount of lift on 32s but it wasnt that same kit. did his kit come with an adj. track bar? if the axles not centered underneath the jeep alignment will not help. center the axle with the adj track bar then take it to a shop and let them alien it. well thats what i did. worked fer me.

i ran the same amount of lift on 32s but it wasnt that same kit. did his kit come with an adj. track bar? if the axles not centered underneath the jeep alignment will not help. center the axle with the adj track bar then take it to a shop and let them alien it. well thats what i did. worked fer me.

We had 4 guys eye ball it the night we finished the lift and everyone agreed the axle was dead center. We even used a straight edge and tape measure and it read dead center. I am rather confident that the axle is center but a bad alignment is probably going to be the culprit.

Did the kit come with a new track bar mount? If so, check the mounting bolts, they are known for causing this type of problem.

As for alignment, I always did my alignment with a tape measure (5.5" lift on 33" tires) and never once had a problem. I never paid for one alignment. Are the upper/lower arms adjustable? If so, adjust them to what RE says in the instructions, set the toe at ZERO (my recommendation) and see.

also: make sure trackbar and Draglink are running at the same angles... 1/8" to 1/4" toe out..

Did the kit come with a new track bar mount? If so, check the mounting bolts, they are known for causing this type of problem.

I agree.

Every time I've had bad DW at that speed, it was trackbar related. Check the frame end and axle end for tightness.

As for alignment, I always did my alignment with a tape measure (5.5" lift on 33" tires) and never once had a problem. I never paid for one alignment. Are the upper/lower arms adjustable? If so, adjust them to what RE says in the instructions, set the toe at ZERO (my recommendation) and see.

I didn't come with a new track bar mount and the RE 4.5" does not come with adjustable control arms. You can upgrade be John didn't. They should be the correct lenght. Hopefully tigtening everything up and re-doing the allignment will fix the issue.

Hahahaha! You crazay! :D

Yea, it's almost definitely a slight alignment issue. Ask TerryG - it can be off only a tad and cause a big issue. :)

guess im lucky, i installed my lift solo and eyeballed the axle when centering. I also eyeballed the Alignment and had not DW even when i drove it to the shop which was a good 15 miles.

drop brackets? skwerrly & I f'd w/ mine for a couple hours til i got it to settle down, an inch either left or right was too much

I drove 300 miles to Arizona last week and the Sleigh had no problem with death wobble! (oh I forgot it was on the trailer) thats how I fix death wobble......SANTA

Icoughhatecoughyoucough

:p

Im just jealous cause santa didnt bring me a trailer for XMAS.

Santa I don't think my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I am certain for a brief second I saw a guy taking a dump on your avatar. I stared at it for a while and it didn't do it again. How the hell did you pull that off?

Santa I don't think my eyes are playing tricks on me, but I am certain for a brief second I saw a guy taking a dump on your avatar. I stared at it for a while and it didn't do it again. How the hell did you pull that off?
IF HE CAN MAKE IT AROUND THE GLOBE IN ONE NIGHT TO DROP OFF PRESENTS he can do anything. :roll:

Back