• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch problem on '92 XJ

musikman43155

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 92 XJ for $700. It's in great shape except for the clutch. The former owner stated that the slave cylinder is out. I have nearly zero mechanical experience with the exception that I put springs/ struts on my Nissan car a few years back.

If you pump the clutch a bunch, it eventually gains enough pressure to put the Jeep into gear. When you let out on the clutch pedal, the Jeep lurches forward after the pedal is barely an inch off the floor. It appeared to shift okay after that with minimal pumping of the clutch pedal. When I first attempted to come to a stop, I pushed in the clutch and brake pedal, but, the Jeep nearly drug me into the road.

I should mention that this Jeep has sat mostly for 2 years with very minimal use. The fluid does not appear to have leaked out anywhere, but, it's been about 3 days since I've been able to check, although, I've not been driving it.

Does this sound like a slave or master cylinder or...

Looking for some suggestions before I buy a clutch kit w/ slave cylinder.

Thanks!

N.E. James

Could be either or both.

That XJ is 18 years young--doesn't she deserve all new?

Buy a Luk Gold kit comes with a slave, then buy a new MC to go with.

She will love you for it.

Back