• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

headlight mod Q

Just shut your lights off. Sounds like a pointless mod to me.

if you ran an aftermarket style wiring harness, you might be able wire one of the 12v leads at the relay to a circuit thats only hot with the ignition? but that would cut out your lights when the car is off (a step backwards imho)

might look into swapping in the electronics that make a buzzing sound when you open the door with the lights on? i SWEAR my renix xj did that back in the day... it's been a looong time sinse my interior luxories have worked....

X2 what xcm said. My 91 makes an annoying buzzing noise if I leave the headlights on after I open the door, I don't recall if my 96 does.

My buzzer may be broken. Have to look into that, maybe get a loud one out of another car. But would rather wire the lights to shut off with the ignition. When you live in the city you don't always notice when your lights are left on, and I get distracted easily by b@@bies.

If I need the headlights on when the engine is off, i can simply switch the ignition to acc, not worried about that.

The illuminated dash usually reminds me my lights are on. I agree with the pointless mod. Just push in the button and be done with it.

do you leave your keys in the column too? if so, you shouldnt be driving if its that easy to loose your thought process...
if not, add lights off to your thought process, or walk around your car to make sure theyre off...

could someone do a go-jeep harness, but instead of using the 12v from the headlight plug as a switch, wire that to ignition hot (where?), then using a switched ground? it's operator error, change your actions, DONE.

PS, i live in the city, and leave my lights on far more than most. my natural reaction is to call myself a tard, and stop leaving my lights on...

Guys... DUH... if he could remember to turn the lights off he wouldn't be posting the question... I doubt this is the first time he's thought "Damn, maybe I should just turn them off?"
Anyhoo... fix your buzzer OR upgrade wiring harness and draw relay power from an ignition / acc hot circuit. Wire that circuit to the headlight switch, switch to relay. Unless my brain is failing, this would give you better lights & turn them off when you kill the engine.
Of course, if you are re wiring the switch's power source, you could just do that and ignore then harness upgrade.
your call. Buzzer is probably the easy / cheap option.

A lot of haters on this forum aren't there, i think its kind of funny. Simply wondering if anyone had done this type of thing and how, not why. Any way thanks for the tips and info guys.

We are a bunch of haters. Mainly we are just busting your balls for forgetting to turn off your lights! :laugh3:

Google how to make a "latch" with two relays... I did this in my 98 so that like newer cars, my radio stays on until I open my door. Even if I take the keys out once the door opens, everything shuts off.

We are a bunch of haters. Mainly we are just busting your balls for forgetting to turn off your lights! :laugh3:

Thats cool, I could always use a good ball-busting or ass chewing.

I am getting old, my short term memory is crapping out on me, drank and smoked to much when i was younger,the other vehicles i drive take care of this automatically so it often slips my mind, i'm extremely impatient, PTSD/TBI, i'm far from perfect, pick your excuse. I just think if the keys are out of the ignition the lights should be off.

Got the info from another jeep forum from yj wrangler owners whose vehicles apparently have the same useless design flaw. The system ought to be somewhat similar. Disables that goofy headlight shutoff delay as well.

design flaw?
goofy headlight shutoff delay?
pfft

how about making something positive of your thread, and posting your results for anyone interested?
or are you just gonna talk smack about our goofy design flaws?

Got the info from another jeep forum from yj wrangler owners whose vehicles apparently have the same OPERATOR ERROR. The system ought to be somewhat similar. Disables that goofy headlight shutoff delay as well.

Fixed! :roflmao:

Back