• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 and HackNTap flange wobble

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
I have a NP242 and a RE HackNTap in my 98 XJ... I bought the tcase and driveshaft and sye as a combo from a local wheeler who was parting out his rig. I have been running it now for about a year without any issues but now I have a slight vibe at highway speeds.

I climbed under and narrowed it down to the flange on the hack n tap... it wobbles on the shaft ever so slightly.

I tried tightening the center bolt but it's already very tight... I would take it all apart but I think the PO ran into the problem as well because the snap ring has been tack welded to the flange. I think he did that because he probably had it wobble on him at one point.

This sucks for me because with the snap ring tacked in there, I can't take it apart and take the flange off.

So as it stands, the center bolt is tight. The snap ring is welded to the flange. The flange wobbles on the shaft a tiny bit.

Any ideas/suggestions on what to do from here?

Nevermind. I'm an idiot. I could still tap the flange off the shaft even though the snap-ring was welded in.

So all I did right now is just weld the snapring and flange to the big washer... hopefully that'll hold but I have a new flange on order so it just has to hold until my shipment comes in.

If it wobbles, it is likely that the end of the output shaft is not flat. To get it flat I would remove the driveshaft and pull off the flange. Then start the Jeep up and put it in drive - this will spin the output. Use a grinding wheel to smooth out the end of the output. Grinding it while it spins will help to make it flat.

Back