• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 and 35- Why the most discarded axles on earth?

My 30 is because it keeps breaking. shafts, ring gear, bearing caps.

I didn't bother polishing the 35. 27 splines, c-clips, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube.
What is there not to hate?

I dunno if I just havent pushed my dana35 hard enough yet or I got one of the stronger ones on the market. But I used to do plenty of nueteral drops some of which tore the driveshaft off but never hurt the axle. The frame has also knocked the axle more then a few times and who knows how many times Ive jumped curbs and slide into curbs.

So far its not bent and runs like a champ still. Only thing that need replaced one of these days is the bearings because they are starting to whine but Im sure this is from normal wear and tear.

Well, I don't think they're weak, they're just built for stock setups, and bigger tires and offroading cause too much stress on them (specially on the D35).

People wheeling with very big tires and full-size vehicles might think that D44s are too weak for them, but they're not too weak for most XJs.

Regards

crasy1_69 said:
you mean you guys don't like chyslers disappearing paint. :lol:

They did that on purpose?!?! Someone call David Copperfield, he's demoted, we found someone who can make stuff disappear better.:thumbup:

schmiedel said:
Well, I don't think they're weak, they're just built for stock setups, and bigger tires and offroading cause too much stress on them (specially on the D35).

People wheeling with very big tires and full-size vehicles might think that D44s are too weak for them, but they're not too weak for most XJs.

Regards
Good point ! Though my parents went thru Three 35s in 5 years with a stock XJ that never went off road or towed anything. Not real sure what that was all about. I never got to work on it because they lived in Cali and then got fed up and dumped it.

I don't like d35's either but I will give it to them. It took me bouncing(I mean jumping in the air too, not to mention crushing the rockers in) my Jeep up the Kodiak section of uhwarrie just to break an axle with 4.56's and 33's. I guess it just goes to show that now and again they might hold up(not really) I would not trust them much though. I see nothing wrong with a hp30 though, love that axle. JOE>

Well there is a big 4ft wall right up the middle, I did not have a traction aid in the front and that is what really got me going, but the simple fact that I had never broke anything, and really would not give up led to the break. The middle line is quite big and I never have and never will see a stock anything go up it. A good friend of mine tried with 31's on a grand (ZJ), no luck not even close to having enough approach. I am not saying that a lifted Zuk can't do it b/c they r strong in there own, but stock...... Just ain't happnin. JOE>

I love XJs , but Zukes are the shit. Little money makes them King of the Rocks.
They call them Cheap Jeeps for a reason. They took first and second on the Wild Course at our Fun Crawl a couple weeks ago.

I once tried unsuccessfully to jerk a Chevy pickup out of a ditch with a chain, using the factory bumper hitch of my 87 XJ. The truck did not budge. I don't think it even jiggled. The hitch did not break or bend, but both axle shafts bent. There's a narrow part right near the pumpkin end, and they bent right there. Does that count as a weakness?

So these axles were designed for "light duty" with OEM wheels and tires, and lack the beef needed to withstand higher torque and loads?

I have "beginners" axles? great.

Really nothing wrong with the 30 and it's easy enough to find an 8.25 29 spline and swap that in. Find one with either your gears or some other ones and build it before yo swap it. Add a traction device, disc brakes, the works before you even install it. It's just the 8.25 is easier to find than a D44.
OR
Go to currie and order two new 44's or 60's ready to go.... :D
Depends how deep your pockets are..

boise49ers said:
Yeah , but of the mind. You used Chain ? ?

Yeah yeah, I know. It happened at the time that a chain was what was at hand. I grew up using chain. Chain is cool. When it breaks it just drops to the ground instead of flying all over the place killing people. I forgot for a moment that it wasn't a Scout. If I'd had my old Scout the chain would have been the weak spot. I once used logging chain with the Scout to pull stumps. When I was done, the stumps were out and the Scout was fine, but the chain links had stretched so much that the chain would no longer fold.

Lesson learned. The bulldozer gets the chain, the Jeep gets the strap.

Back