• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 comanche

boonie

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on a 92 comanche now that starts at times and runs great, and then other times it just cranks and acts like it not getting any spark. Already replaced the rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. Also the fuel filter. Not sure what is actually going on with this, any thoughts from anyone? Has the 2.5 four cylinder manual transmission. Thanks

there's a connector with 2 wires on the firewall, intake side of the motor, just next to the MAP sensor. That's the CPS. Put a multimeter on the two contacts. it should be somewhere around 200 ohms IIRC. If it's an open circuit it's certainly bad.

Sometimes it's just corrosion in the wires there jacking up the signal and unplugging it and replugging will make it run again.

No spark:

CPS/CKP crank sensor.
ASD/B Latch relay.
Coil.
ECU/PCM.
Wiring between all of the above, including the grounds.

No spark from coil to distributor or no spark to plugs--could have a broken rotor.

ok, just went out and looked, no connector on the firewall other than the MAP sensor. there is a connector on the fenderwell, two wires on it, kind of a white color. looks like a ceramic(?) connector, like a ballast resistor? could that be the CPS? and what is the CPS?

ok, just went out and looked, no connector on the firewall other than the MAP sensor. there is a connector on the fenderwell, two wires on it, kind of a white color. looks like a ceramic(?) connector, like a ballast resistor? could that be the CPS? and what is the CPS?

That is the fuel pump ballast resistor, can be bypassed, was eliminated in 94 anyway.

The CPS/CKP crank sensor should be at the top of the bellhousing on the driver's side, it generates a signal to tell the ECU/PCM what mechanical position the engine is in, allowing the ECU/PCM to control when the spark plugs are fired. There is a harness running from the CPS/CKP, and a connector just up from the CPS/CKP on that harness. Unplug and plug that connector a few times to freshen the connection.

I do it in the hopes that when my XJ fails, I can fix it, or count on your guys to return the favor!

:)

Back