• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod/TRE questions

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
So I am sure I am just being a bit :gee: right now, but I figured double checking to make sure I am thinking about this the right way couldn't hurt.

So I was looking into picking up the parts and tools to do something like this
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNST&Category_Code=S6

This brings to mind one question that I have always had... how do the jam nuts keep the tie rod and drag ling from loosening? If one TRE is right hand thread and the other is left hand thread wouldn't the rod still be able to spin in one direction even with the jam nuts tightened down?

My guess is that the added friction of tightening the jam nut (along with the threadlocker) would be enough to keep the tie rod from turning. Or am I missing something completely?

Also, regarding the tie rod ends themselves... is there any site to look up different tie rod ends and determine what size they are... I.e. I am trying to figure out what size threaded insert I would need. Is there anywhere I would be able to look up the thread diameter and thread count for different TREs?

Link for tre info.
www.jeepfan.com/tech/tierod-id.php

There sould be little to no rotational torque between the tre's and the draglink or tie rod.
The jam nuts are only for maintaining the adjustment.

I do not use loctite on tre's or jam nut and have not had any back off.

Awesome, thanks.

One other question I just thought of... In the JCR setup it is mounted UTK. From the looks of it there is a slight bend in the ES2233L TRE, though that may just be from he picture. Would it be possible to use that TRE in an OTK installation or is there an equivalent part that would have a proper bend to be used OTK?

Edit: nvm about the bend. Looked up another couple images of the TRE and there doesn't appear to be any bend so OTK should work just the same.

Last edited:
I don't have this setup, so I don't know if it can be used otk.
I think the es2233L is straight.
This type of setup will have a dead spot even with the poly bushing on the draglink tre at the tie rod.
This is ok with some, but I have drive an xj with this set up and did not like it.
Personal choice.

How bad of a dead spot is it? With the stock setup I had (have) quite the dead spot as well. Mind you i think my TREs are trash right now but still... I won't even drive the Jeep because it has a around a 30-40* dead spot. Would it be that bad? I don't see how this is TOO much different from a stock steering setup and why it would behave that much worse :dunno:

No I don't think it would be any worse than what you have know.

Maybe someone that has this setup could answer your question better.

Back