• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All There Is is Dust and NOTHING!

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Well, this is according to my nine year old daughter...

Yesterday we decided to take an impromptu trip out to the Cedar mountains to celebrate either the first day of spring or possibly the last trip for my wife's Jeep as we have decided to sell it.

We started off at Delle Utah. The weather was perfect.

Airing down...
DSC_5293-Copy.jpg

We were originally going to head down the east side of the Cedar Mountain range. However a road caught my curiosity and we decided to see where it went. It ended up taking us around the north side of the Cedars and back south again. Looking at the map I saw that Hastings pass would take us back over the mountain so we could finish our trip towards White Rocks.

Nanette letting Tobe get some exercise.
DSC_5294-Copy.jpg

A cow and its newborn on Hastings Pass.
DSC_5303-Copy.jpg

Watering Trough.
DSC_5305-Copy.jpg

Looking east off the top of Hastings Pass towards Deseret Peak.
DesertPeak-Copy.jpg

Almost to the bottom.
DesertPeak2-Copy.jpg

Stopping to put some burritos on the engine for lunch.
DSC_5310-Copy.jpg

Kirsten in the middle of a great kick.
DSC_5311-Copy.jpg

TJ is always looking for any reason he can get, even if its for a couple of minutes to get out and play with a truck in the dirt.
DSC_5313-Copy.jpg

A few miles down the road we came across quite a site. I only wish I could have been set up a little better to capture what we saw. Across the plain I could see a dust cloud coming off something move very very fast. As we rolled over the hill I could see it was a wild horse moving at a very high rate of speed.
DSC_5314-Copy.jpg

Sorry for the low quality of these pics, I was in the jeep and a couple of them were taken out of the window.

As the horse ran across the road and we came around the bend we ran into another part of the herd.

These horses were skittish as hell. They didn't want to have any part of us and they were constantly running to stay out of our way.
horse-Copy.jpg

Horse2.jpg

We finally arrived at White Rocks. The sun was setting behind us and we realized that the rocks are not white, they are pink.

DSC_5327-Copy.jpg

This rock is HUGE. If you look close you can see a person sitting close to the top.
DSC_5336-Copy.jpg

Now can you see her?
DSC_5337-Copy.jpg

TJ in his camo, it was quite effective against the rock.
DSC_5339-Copy.jpg

Chad (Lost Soul) decided to take advantage of my empty passenger seat for the day. I don't know what he was looking for.
DSC_5338-Copy.jpg

Nanette coming out of the dust as we hit the highway.
DSC_5340-Copy.jpg

After we hit the highway we decided to go to Iosepa as I had never been there. Iosepa was settled as a Mormon converted Polynesian settlement in the late 1800's It was gone by the early 1900's as the conditions in Skull Valley were rough. All thats left of the town is a single fire hydrant and a cemetery.

In the last few years descendants of the original settlers have built an interpretive site there.
DSC_5347-Copy.jpg

DSC_5342-Copy.jpg

The cemetery.
DSC_5345-Copy.jpg

After this we hooked up with Clint and went to Grantsville for some great mexican food and conversation. Then it was time to head home.

It was a great day.

Chad (Lost Soul) decided to take advantage of my empty passenger seat for the day. I don't know what he was looking for.
DSC_5338-Copy.jpg

Clearly he was looking for a place to pee! :D

Nice pics Ryan. Were the cattle on Ranch property or free range?

Wife's selling the XJ?... bet she wants a ZJ. :laugh3:

Ryan, beautiful pictures, and you suck that its in your backyard.:)

John, a ZJ and XJ are one in the same... dont you know this?

~James

Gorgeous pictures and scenery up there i see. Id love to meet up with you but there is so much to explore down here i cant justify the fuel going north just yet haha. If you are ever in the richfield area let me know.

Ryan, beautiful pictures, and you suck that its in your backyard.:)

John, a ZJ and XJ are one in the same... dont you know this?

~James
:illegalflipoffsmile: to both of you.
Gorgeous pictures and scenery up there i see. Id love to meet up with you but there is so much to explore down here i cant justify the fuel going north just yet haha. If you are ever in the richfield area let me know.
Any time you are ready. It doesn't take much to get me out. I need to come explore the Richfield area. There is lots to see and I don't get there much. You do however realize just how close you are to the San Rafael Swell right? This is bar none my all time favorite place to visit in Utah.
real great pictures. why you selling the other jeep?
Several reasons. Money is the biggest. I also miss riding with my wife, I can't get out and walk around getting photos like I used to and I really want to build an offroad trailer. I can't do it owning two jeeps.

It's also expensive as hell to gas up two rigs every time we go somewhere.

I was in Reno NV about five years ago, we ran Bronco Canyon and on our way out right at dusk a group of maybe 15 to 20 wild horses were running along right next to us with the sun setting behind them. I stoped to try and get my camera out and they ran right infront of me, between me and the rest of the group. I never got a shot, but I will never forget that moment.

Great shots! Wonderful stuff, thanks for posting.

Back