• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Question

ewert35

NAXJA Forum User
I have an interesting problem while doing some wiring on my 01 xj. The master control switch for the locks and windows on the driver side door will not make the front passenger door window go up and down. each of the individual door controls work fine, even the front passenger door window.

When i push up or down on the window switch, all the lights in the jeep dim and the light in the passenger door control goes off completely.

I have replaced the entire door wiring harness and window controls in both front doors with no success. I am thinking there is some short because the lights are dimming or going off completely, but i am not sure where to look. Any ideas where to start or what to do? Thank!

I would check the wiring harness where it passes from the driver's door into the cabin, that is where wires like to chafe/break.

I just replaced the entire door wiring harness and the connections look good. All the wires seem to be making contact, still looking!

I looked at a schematic and I think you have a short to ground in the harness between the drivers switch and the pass. switch.
disconnect the drivers switch and check the BR/WT and VT/WT wires going to the pass. switch for continuity to ground.
If you get continuity to ground then disconnect the pass. switch also and retest.
These wire colors are for a 2000 xj and my not be the same color.
good luck

I just replaced the entire door wiring harness and the connections look good. All the wires seem to be making contact, still looking!

Check the harness with an ohm meter.

Question: did you just the replace the harness to try and fix this exact issue, or were you trying to fix a problem, replaced the harness, and now you have this new problem?

This situation keeps getting worse and worse, first off, I replaced the harness to fix another problem which is the window switch.

Now when I push the switch button the whole car shut off. I notice when I'm driving when I push the brake or clutch peddle the battery guage drops a little. If I shut the car off I need a jump now and when I shut off sometimes the car won't even register the accessory light when I turn the key. I followed the wires from the switch and unplugged everything I changed and it still did not fix anything???? Thanks for the advise!

Back