• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Antifreeze

East_River_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
The last few times I was crawling around under my XJ I noticed a few drops of antifreeze on the bottom of the transmission bell housing. Nothing has ever made it to the ground, at least in my garage. Possibly related, my 4.0 has been running very warm lately, whatever the mark 210 and 260 is. Last summer in the heat of the day it was always around 210, all last fall and even this winter it wants to run warm all the time. I did buy a thermostat today but haven't changed it yet. But antifreeze on the bell housing and no visible leaks. All new hoses, checked and re checked. Bypassed the heater control vacuum valve, hoses go straight to the heater core.

Stumped,

jon

Last edited:
Kind of a weird place to find antifreeze, only place i could think of is if the back of your head gasket is blown, or possibly one of the freeze plugs is leaking.....

Post year of your XJ.

Leaks are kind of hard for us to help you with. If you can't isolate the cause, get it up on a hoist and get a good light on there and you should be able to find it.

You need to get that coolant temp back down to the 200-210 range. As you have a new thermostat, (be sure it's a 195 degree stat) I would perform a complete flush and fill.

How old are your water pump and radiator? If all of this stuff is old and you can do the work yourself and you plan on keeping the vehicle, a complete cooling system overhaul would be worth considering.

Last edited:
Possibly water pump seal if it's makng it's way to the back of the motor?

H2o pump seals are notorious for slow leaks and displacing of coolant from the original leak location. (splatter)

There are "freeze plugs" in the block and a really nasty one on the head at the firewall--you need to locate the leak. Pressure tester, UV dye, but find it.

Back