• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ D44 or C8.25?

crimsondragon

NAXJA Forum User
I currently own a D44 and it's sitting next to my garage door looking pathetic. I bought it with the dreams of swapping it in for the D35 on the old rig. But then I got a 98 and sold the 90. So now I'm debating whether or not I should keep it or sell it for a pretty penny to someone that actually needs it. On one hand the 44 is stronger than the 8.25, and has more gearing options currently.

On the other hand I can sell it and put the money towards a rear bumper. I want to run at most 35" tires but most likely will stick with 32's or 33's. God willing, I also want to be able to tow my other car to the track when she gets to that point. She weighs at a guesstimate of 3k lbs give or take 100. Will be less later as I change more stuff over to carbon fiber.

Also when she's not towing stuff, I would like to give wheeling a chance as well. I hear good things about Rausch Creek so I'll head over there. If I like it enough, maybe even cross country for other trails. What do you guys think? Is the slightly stronger D44 really needed for what I want to do?

If I do pick the D44, now would be the best time to start investing in building it up like disc brakes, stronger axle shafts, regear, diff cover, etc. Basically it boils down to either put the money into the D44 or the 8.25 while being able to supply my needs. This would have been a whole lot easier decision to make if it was a turdfive underneath the rig.

*edit*
Forgot to mention, the XJ is a DD so modding the 8.25 would be very difficult and time consuming. I'm in no rush but I would like to have a decent trail/tow rig by the end of the decade.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the only thing you will gain with the D-44 is a semi-floater, in other words if you break a axle shaft the wheel/tire will stay in. The 8.25 w/alloy shafts is just as strong as a D-44 and if you add disc brakes then the calipers will hold the wheel assembly on assuming you snap the shaft in the usual place.

I run 35's on a locked 8.25 and wheel it hard and have never had an issue. I tend to be easy on the skinny though.

Back in the day this battle always seemed to be won by the XJ D44, mostly because of gearing options and aftermarket support. Now that Nittro Gear is making 4.88's for the 8.25, it's become a harder decision for people to make. Strength between the two is marginal at best. The 44 has an 8.5" ring gear, the 8.25 well an 8.25" ring gear. Spline count is 29 vs. 30 going to the D44. I can't remember shaft diameter measurements off the top of my head, but they're close. The 8.25 wins housing diameter at 3" vs. 2.75" on the D44 and also has thicker walled tubes. Yes the 8.25 is a c-clip, but so is the coveted Ford 8.8 that so many run. Based on what you described (no tires over 35's, and most likely only 33's) you will be fine with the 8.25.

Now where the D44 really shines is if you want to dump a lot of money into a build. You can build a 44 with 33 or 35 spline alloy shafts and locker, disk brakes, truss, and gears beyond 4.88 and you've got a serious contender for wheelin the piss out of 35's or even jumping to 37's. Personally, if you're going to dump a bunch of money into an axle that will never see anything bigger than 35's, I think the 8.25 is a stout enough axle to handle it. But for the added peace of mind of higher spline count and alloys, and cool factor the D44 wins.

I would say put an aussie locker in it, disc brake swap.

I am running an 8.25, 29 spline, with Yukon Chromos, an ARB, 4.56's and a Ruff stuff cover on 33's. I get on the skinny pedal hard, alot. Rocks, mud, prerunning. It works just fine. When i had my TJ I built a 44 for the rear all done up with 33 spline axler. It was overkill. If I were in your boots, I would sell the 44 and build the 8.25. JMHO

I would go for the 44. If you plan on going cross country, and you are out there and you do end up breaking a shaft some how, you'll be able to still drive the vehicle to somewhere you can get the parts you need. On top of that, the support for the 44 is much stronger that the 8.25, you'll be able to find spider gears, shafts, seals etc. at alot of the shops that are around, as the XJ 44, aside from the bracketry, is the same as the TJ 44, which is supported just about any where. It seems to me that there is much more love out there for the TJ that our XJs, sadly.

Another thing to think about is the strength of the spider gears, I dont think i have ever heard of some one trashing a set of 44 spiders on 33s. Where as i personally have trashed a set of spiders in an 8.25. and they were the slightly beefier trac lok spiders. Its not just shafts and c clips you should think about. carrier/spiders also play a good part in the overall strength of the axle.

I personnally swapped into a 44 for all the reasons listed above. There is a lot more you can do to make it better. There are worlds more support for the 44 over the 8.25, and that extra peace of mind for me, that if something should break, i can find the things to fix it, just about any where, is worth the swap, whether or not you're gonna build it or leave it alone.

I would go for the 44. If you plan on going cross country, and you are out there and you do end up breaking a shaft some how, you'll be able to still drive the vehicle to somewhere you can get the parts you need. On top of that, the support for the 44 is much stronger that the 8.25, you'll be able to find spider gears, shafts, seals etc. at alot of the shops that are around, as the XJ 44, aside from the bracketry, is the same as the TJ 44, which is supported just about any where. It seems to me that there is much more love out there for the TJ that our XJs, sadly.

Another thing to think about is the strength of the spider gears, I dont think i have ever heard of some one trashing a set of 44 spiders on 33s. Where as i personally have trashed a set of spiders in an 8.25. and they were the slightly beefier trac lok spiders. Its not just shafts and c clips you should think about. carrier/spiders also play a good part in the overall strength of the axle.

X2

I would NOT drive a D44 with a broken shaft to somewhere I could get the parts I need. Yes, the shaft is still retained, but how far are you going to drive with that broken end flopping around?

That said, it seems like more people out in my area run D44s, so are more likely to have a spare if I don't.

I dumped an 8.25 in favor of a D44 back when the 8.25 only went up to 4.56.

Another disadvantage to the D-44 vs 8.25 is the shafts are different length. You would really need to carry both shafts with you on the trail. The 8.25's shafts are both equal length so you would only need to carry one.

I also do not recommend driving any further than needed to do a axle repair be it a D-44 or a 8.25. Just get to a level spot on the trail and make the repair.

I run a Aussie on my 8.25 but I carry spiders/side gears and a spare shaft so if I break a shaft I swap that, if I break the Aussie, I just put the spiders back in and drive home. I also carry spare "C" clips, sucks losing one doing a repair on the trail!

My 8.25 is trussed with a RuffStuff MD truss, has a RS cover tied into the truss, Yukon alloy shafts (29 spline), Nitro 4.88's and has been shaved. I did the set-up and fab work myself and only have around $400 in the axle.

While there is NOTHING wrong with a 8.25. the D44 is clearly a better platform.. if you HAVE both.. then go with the better of the two..

Another disadvantage to the D-44 vs 8.25 is the shafts are different length. You would really need to carry both shafts with you on the trail. The 8.25's shafts are both equal length so you would only need to carry one.

Are you going to quibble over 1/2"? I only carry the short side and it's fine. Haven't ever needed it anyway.

Its true, you can use the short side shaft as a spare for either side. They are only a half inch or so different in length anyhow, so if its a spare youre using as you'll do fine.

Back