• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting R151F into my '86 Cherokee...need advice?!?

ventureforth

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing a VW diesel swap into my '86 Cherokee. I'm using the Acme adapter, which basically turns it into a 22R-style engine. I have an R151F which will now bolt right up to the VW. My question is, what t-case should I be using to finish up this drivetrain? What is bolt-up compatible? The R151F is a 23-spline output (it's basically the Toyota version of the AX15). Will it bolt right up to an NP231? How about a Dana 300 with a novak adapter or something? Do I just use a Toyota t-case? Which one? What would be the simplest and most reliable option. If I mate the R151F to the NP231 or Dana 300, will that just bolt right under my XJ, or is there a lot more fabrication work to be done? I've heard conflicting thoughts on how similar the R151F is to the AX15. Some say it is basically identical...some say it doesn't quite fit. Any thoughts? I'm trying to get around having to make a frankenstein setup with bits and pieces from multiple transmissions. I already have the R151F, and as I said it is perfectly mated to the VW with Acme adapter, so I'm really hoping for a solution that utilizes what I've already got.

The Jeep originally came with the AX5/NP207 combo. I believe that means I have Dana 30 up front and Dana 35 in back. Is this right?

Anyway, transmissions and t-cases are not my specialty, so I really need some help with this one. I've been searching around different forums and can't seem to find a solid answer (that doesn't involve thousands of dollars of custom work for a super rock crawling beast). This is more of a daily driver vehicle. The only 4WD use will be back roads and snow and such...no rock crawling.

Please send help. I'm moments away from completing this project. My 1.9TD is tuned. I've added intercooler and large downpipe. Opened up the exhaust. Mounts are ready to go. All that is missing is the transmission/t-case solution.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Just because your trans. is "23 spline" does not mean that it is the same/correct size as the ax-15 output shaft. If a yota t-case will fit then go for that, they are pretty durable. But I am guessing a novak or AA adater will work for a np231/242 or Dana300

But a Toyota case will give him a passenger side drop? That would require a axle swap. He needs to go to the drivers side somehow. You may be able to swap the tail housings from a AX15....not sure though.

have you tried to look up the info on novak or AA's website? they have a wealth of information available.

Been on both sites. Posted there, too. No responses as yet. Emailed customer support, too. Haven't found any info on dealing with the passenger side drop issue... though I guess I could swap axles. Is an axle swap the best solution and then just use the Toyota tranny and transfercase together and forget the NP231?

OTT makes an adapter to put a Dana 300 on the Toyota, but I imagine that will be passenger side, too. Also, it's $550, so not inexpensive.

Advance adapters seems to only have adapters to put different Yota t-cases and Yota trannies... i.e. swap out chain driven for gear driven, etc., but nothing to put an NP231 on a Toyota. Unless I'm missing something. http://advanceadapters.com/product/1737/50-5707.html

Novak has ways to put a Dana 300 in driver side for an AX15, but I don't see any info on using that for a Yota R151F. http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_153.htm I contacted them, too. It says it will work on an AW4, too. I know that was a Yota transmission, too. Maybe that means the output shaft on the R151 will work. We'll see what they have to say when they get back to me.

If I have a complete Toyota setup, would it be easier to swap axles, or use adapters and/or output shaft swaps to get this job done? I ask because I've heard Toyota axles are pretty strong and better than the 30/35 setup I have now.

Wow. LoL... Diesel

Sorry just poking around...Im New ;)

BUMP.

And the problem with a diesel is what? I have a little baby turbo'd Detroit V8 in my SJ (that is a full sized Wagoneer for you newb) - 500ftlbs of torque and 24mpg.

Yes, there is a flip kit for the D300.
At this point, why not try and bolt the np231 to the trans? Or will it clearly NOT fit? And, will an AX-15 not work with your motor? Isn't the bellhousing swappable?

I do not currently have an NP231. I'm hoping to get an answer before I purchase a t-case. The AX15 and Yota have different input shafts. The general feeling is that they have different output shafts two, even though they are both 23-spline. I could have a Yota shaft swapped into an AX15, but I haven't found a place that will give me an acceptable price for the custom AX15 and I'm not up to doing it myself.

Who makes the flip kit for the Dana 300 and does it work with a Toyota tranny?

There are lots of people in your area that do mechanical work. You may try PM'ing JohnX and see if he can do something for you.

What if I used an R150F with the R151F bellhousing, that would mate up to the 22-R style adapter right? Could I then use a later era t-case from a tacoma? They used the R150, as well, correct? And they were driver side drop, right? Would that just be bolt up, or do they use different outputs?

Am I right on any of these counts?

Back