• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 jeep dying on idel

892drXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have a 89 cherokee that dies on idel it will load up on fuel and wont start until i keep cranking and cranking. i have put a new cooling system in from a closed to a open, i have also changed the fuel pump i have asked just about everyone this question so im hopeing someone here can help.

thanks again matt

Welcome to Naxja.

Was it doing this before the radiator conversion? Does it stay running if you keep on the gas? Does it do this when "cold", when hot, all the time? Is this why you changed the fuel pump?

You should check the fuel pressure at the port near the fuel pressure regulator. You will need a gauge for this.

I agree that testing of fuel pressure should be done early in the troubleshooting process. I know you replaced the fuel pump but don't get tunnel vision, you need actual pressure numbers confirmed before looking elsewhere.

If fuel pressure checks out (31 psi at idle and 39 psi with fuel pressure regulator disconnected), I would test AND adjust your throttle position sensor.

You have a RENIX and when problems arise, you have no OBD system to trip codes to give you clues so you need to be familiar with a meter and a manual.

Here's a link to testing many things RENIX.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

Back