• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff install in trussed axle

FearNoFish

NAXJA Forum User
I am prepping a D30 & a D44 for installation in my XJ. I have an ARB locker for both. I have read that one needs to spread the pumpkin a bit in order to put in the proper shims for the ARB install. Will trussing the axle have any affect on this operation?

FNF

By the way, I just down loaded the IE spell checker. Everybody should do it!!!!

I think you will be fine without a spreader. All the gears installs we have done, we did not use a spreader

The spreader makes life easier on any dif install,but it can be done without one.

(If you download firefox, it has a spellchecker already in it,... :D )

I prefer not to use a case spreader because you don't get a good feel for how much preload you are putting on the carrier bearings. I like to feel how tight they are. You can put too much preload on the bearings and cause them to wear out prematurely. Properly preloaded carrier bearings should require light to moderate force with a soft face mallet to install the carrier. Also put a strong magnet on the inside of the diff covers to capture any wear metal and improve the longevity of the internals.

Back