• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My hatch light problem

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
My hatch light used to work and some where along the line the light no longer comes on when only the hatch is open. The lights all work when the doors open.

I pulled the hatch trim off and inspected the light switch button and it wasn't jammed closed. I cleaned the button and electrical contacts while it was out though and the button is smooth as can be. I tested the switch while it was out of the hatch mechanism, pressing the button and had no effect on the light.

I tested the switch by checking continuity between the yellow/purple wire and a ground source. I got good continuity with the switch open and then none with it closed(or vise versa I forget which was which but it was correct). I tested continuity at the plug leading into the jeep(behind the hatch trim below the 3rd brake light) back to the switch and that was good.

I'm now thinking the wire(s) from the hatch plug to the sound bar/light could be bad? Or, as I was typing this I thought of something. There seems to be a push button next to the over head cargo light but it doesn't press at all. Could it be as simple as that button is stuck and is over riding the hatch open switch to keep the light off? I tried to mess with the little plastic looking button thing but I didn't want to break it. I never remember messing with it but maybe someone else did.

I was looking at maybe taking the sound bar down but didn't want to tear into any more trim today. It looks like a few pieces have to come off or be loosened to get the bar free.

The button on the light is notorious failure. Dealer doesn't have the lights anymore so go find one in a junkyard or install something else.

Yellow wire is for cabin lighting ground. There is a spiderweb that goes to all of the door jamb switches, the headlight switch (twist to turn on cabin lights), and the overhead lights. When any of these is grounded they are all grounded and all of the lights come on.

The purple/yellow wire is ground for the hatch latch. When the latch is open a spring closes a switch and the circuit grounds. Since the bulb is connected to the yellow cabin circuit, the presence of ground causes the forward lights to also come on.

The pink is for constant 12v battery hot so that lights work when ignition is off (open a door, lights come on)

The button interrupts the cargo light so that it does not ground. This lets you turn off the lights when the hatch is open.

The button on the light is notorious failure. Dealer doesn't have the lights anymore so go find one in a junkyard or install something else.

Yellow wire is for cabin lighting ground. There is a spiderweb that goes to all of the door jamb switches, the headlight switch (twist to turn on cabin lights), and the overhead lights. When any of these is grounded they are all grounded and all of the lights come on.

The purple/yellow wire is ground for the hatch latch. When the latch is open a spring closes a switch and the circuit grounds. Since the bulb is connected to the yellow cabin circuit, the presence of ground causes the forward lights to also come on.

The pink is for constant 12v battery hot so that lights work when ignition is off (open a door, lights come on)

The button interrupts the cargo light so that it does not ground. This lets you turn off the lights when the hatch is open.

Thanks for the info, I'm thinking it's the button for sure now. I honestly didn't even realize it was a button. The one time I noticed it the thing sure doesn't move at all. It seemed like its a plastic keeper that is in place of where a button should go ha. I'm betting someone messed with it and got it stuck...

Took my sound bar off today and sure enough the button was melted and stuck pretty solid. I put in a new switch I had laying around and hopefully it will be good to go now. The new switch I hope can handle the load that seems to be on it.

I will say that little bulb gets HOT, I accidently brushed my finger across it and left a blister instantly. I'm going to look at LED conversion next just because anything that gets that hot after 2 minutes of being on is bad.

Back