• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to swap dead trans, what years are compatible?

overflow

NAXJA Forum User
Have a 1990 Wagoneer Limited (Renix), and the tranny is shot. Took it into the shop but they haven't been able to locate a replacement (looking for a used one) for 3 months now. I'm pretty sure this is because they are only looking for 1990 year with under 70k on it. Naturally, this isn't going to be easy to find. Can anyone tell me what other (hopefully more recent) years would be a direct swap?

Thanks!

is it standard or auto?

if its auto Im pretty sure any tranny from 86-90 will work

if your pulling a tranny from a XJ with a highout put engine(91 and newer) the output shaft is a 23 spline not a 21

good luck finding one with under 70k on it

is it standard or auto?

if its auto Im pretty sure any tranny from 86-90 will work

if your pulling a tranny from a XJ with a highout put engine(91 and newer) the output shaft is a 23 spline not a 21

good luck finding one with under 70k on it

It's an automatic (AW4.) I'm really not expecting to find one with under 70k on it - that's what the shop is looking for and is probably the reason they are unable to find one. Anything with close (preferably less) mileage to the current one would be fantastic. Current mileage is 105k.

Last edited:
You can swap in a 23 spline AW4 from a 91-96, but you'll have to swap the transfer case as well ... which is incredibly easy if you are doing the tranny too.

how did yours die? did u have a leak or something?

the AW4s are pretty solid transmissions

Tranny cooler line popped off and trans burned up unfortunately. I have the NP242 Transfer case, don't really wanna swap out to the 23 spline 231 because I'd lose full time 4WD... dunno; Might be easier that way though. I really don't like the idea of putting in a trans with more mileage than the original though..

Perhaps I should just spring the dough and have it rebuilt?

To bad your so far.. I have an aw4/242 sittin in the garage waiting for a good home

...Perhaps I should just spring the dough and have it rebuilt?

Hmmmmm, $150 and a few hours of wrenching for a used trans with under 100,000 miles or $1200 -1500 for a rebuild ?

goto junkyard, find the lowest mileage AW4/242 combo you can find from a 95 and under XJ. Buy it, bolt it in, enjoy life.
They made some changes in 97, but some of the 96s got the new trans, it was the changeover year for OBDII. Stick with a 95 and older and it should bolt right in and use the same linkages and connectors.
If you cannot find a 242 and attached trans, then get a 23 spline, and swap the input gear. It's not that hard, you just need some big snap ring pliers.

You can swap in a 23 spline AW4 from a 91-96, but you'll have to swap the transfer case as well ... which is incredibly easy if you are doing the tranny too.
X2. You can find low mile 242s around too, check your local chapter classifieds/create a want to buy thread and you'll probably find one at a reasonable price.

goto junkyard, find the lowest mileage AW4/242 combo you can find from a 95 and under XJ. Buy it, bolt it in, enjoy life.
They made some changes in 97, but some of the 96s got the new trans, it was the changeover year for OBDII. Stick with a 95 and older and it should bolt right in and use the same linkages and connectors.
If you cannot find a 242 and attached trans, then get a 23 spline, and swap the input gear. It's not that hard, you just need some big snap ring pliers.
X2 EXCEPT for the last part. The 96 tranny (and the 97) are the same as those before them, in 98 they added another sensor and changed one of the old sensors. You can use anything up to a 97 for the transmission and anything up to 95 for the transfer case, unless you don't mind using the new style (worse) slip yoke / tailcone, in which case you can use the transfer case from anything up to an 01 iirc. You will have to change over the speedo takeoff and the switch for the fulltime/parttime lights/vac disconnect, but that should be easy. Or you can swap the input gear over like he said.

thanks for the correction.

You know I'm not too hip on the new stuff. I'm stuck in renix world with two 87s, but I knew there was a reason why 95 and older stuck in my head.

Yeah, it gets pretty confusing at times... every year they changed a little something or other. Eventually I'd love to make a huge Gantt chart that shows exactly what changed when - interior, exterior, body, drivetrain, etc. Haven't had the time / dedication to do it yet.

can the speedo gear unit that is cable driven from an 89 242 (21 spline) be swaped into a newer (lets say 95) 242 or 231 that has the electric style speedo? i have a similar problem and am thinking to upgrade to a newer 23 spline trans/transfer case, but id like to keep the cable speedo. hope i am not hijacking, its just a thread close to what i am needing aswell. thanks.

Back