• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which 8.25 do I have?

ChevelleSSLS6

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped out the D35 last fall, and would like to know any ways to externally identify if my 8.25 is the 29 spline or the 27 spline version.

It came out of a 'gen 2' XJ, so I'm thinking it's the 29 spline, but would like to know if there are any serial numbers to look out for.

Thanks.:cheers:

Pull the cover & count the splines. It's time to change the gear lube any way.:eeks1: JIM.

Pull the cover & count the splines. It's time to change the gear lube any way.:eeks1: JIM.

Changed during the swap. Will change lube again during powertrax install. When I have enough change jinglin in my pockets for it, I'll ask about it in the modified section, maybe a competitor's offering is better by then (powertrax have very slight issues on the street from my searches, and anything better on the street is a traditional manual locker, lsd, or peg leg. I don't want to run air lines or cables or wiring, the more parts there are, the more there is to go wrong I believe.)

From Wikipedia

Rear Axle
1984 – 1989 : Dana 35, non c-clip, with anti-lock braking system (ABS) or non-ABS.
1990 – 1996 : Dana 35, c-clip, ABS or non-ABS.
1997 – 2001 : Dana 35, c-clip, ABS.
1991 – 1996 : Chrysler 8.25", c-clip, non-ABS, 27-spline axleshafts.
1997 – 2001 : Chrysler 8.25", c-clip, non-ABS, 29-spline axleshafts.
1987 – 1990 : Dana 44, non-abs, 30-spline axleshafts.

One caveat. Other posts say 96 was the cross over year so 96 models produced late in the year may have the 29 spline. I've never come across anything that "decoded" the numbers on an 8.25.

Back