• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 to 8.25 swap

If I seriously see one more of these questions I'm going to poke my eyes out with a pen.

SEARCH THIS FORUM. This has been covered weekly since at least 2005.

YES 1,000 post finally. :D

I tend to agree... sorry man. I am pretty sure I've answered four of this very thread in the last two weeks.

Only thing I'll repeat again, because it can be life vs death - 91/older, or 92/newer? 91/older you should rip the entire ABS system out, don't keep it, don't try to disable it with the fuses/relays, it is a ticking time bomb.

its not possible, the 8.25 is not compatible with a cherokee

If you search you will find that a lot folks run the D35 and love it. They say that the D35 has higher clearance so you wont get stuck as much. As far as strength goes you will find several people that post here who run 35's on that axle and swear by its longevity and unparalleled strength. The strength of the D35 is indeed unparalleled, there is no other axle that you can put under an XJ that has the same strength as a D35. If by some odd chance you feel the need to make the Dana 35 stronger it is rumored that a quick way to double the strength of the D35 is to wrap the axle shafts in electrical tape. You can dramatically increase the strength of the spider, ring and pinion gears with a couple coats of Krylon 1401 bright aluminum spray paint.

There are other options for the XJ such as 8.25 27 and 29 spline axles or the XJ D44 which are all direct bolt ins (get the U-bolts and plates). Except for the need to lengthen the drive shaft which can cost as much as $75 its an easy swap. All the cool kids run the D35 with electrical tape and spray paint though.

John

No I looked for a while and didnt find anything sorry for asking I didnt know it was such a big deal. But thanks for the info It really helpped.

I know this doesn't apply to the 8.25 but it gives you an idea of what it takes to make ABS work with an axle that didn't originally come with ABS.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=998638

fyrfytr1717 is the only one that I've seen that has made ABS work with a non-ABS axle. I don't know if it can even be done to a 8.25. Most guys that I know have disabled the ABS when swapping ABS axles. Search XJ trailrider, as he has swapped out a D35 for an 8.25 and has delt with the ABS issue. He is extremely helpful.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Back