• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys trans cooler?

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
anyone runnin rustys trans cooler?i ask this because the other night i went out mudding nothin to bad but i was in 4low for about 30 mins.ion my way home i had to come to a stop on a steep incline to wait for a train when i took off it barely wanted to move, and when i stomped the go pedal it didnt want to shift down or was down and did not want to move barely.got home checked fluid right on the line of being full since i just pulled the pan and replaced filter and fluid.i know i need some gears which are coming next month, but will a cooler help for now.i'm running 93 with roofrack stuffed with high lift spare 35" tire on steel rim, sliders that must weigh 60lbs a piece and some tools,got steel wheels with 35 " tires.

A cooler will help IF heat is a problem. I have absolutely no idea on Rustys trans cooler, but I know you don't need a very big or expensive one to make a big difference in an XJ. When I first added one it was about 20"x6"...way too big. Trans temp would never budge and that's not a very good thing as it does need to heat up a bit to help evaporate any condensation and allow the fluid to move freely.

The one I have in there now I'd guesstimate to be about 12x5, works fine and was about $20 at the local parts store. Oh and a trans temp gauge is a very wise investment. I think it's absolutely STUPID of manufacturers not to put them in standard or at least an idiot light. A lot of trans failures are indicated early by it's temp, which you have no way of knowing without a gauge.

I had never really thought I'd need a tranny cooler, but this and other recent threas have pointed out its a good idea, cheap and even if its not needed it can't hurt (unless it too big as you said).
I can find a cooler no prob, but I have a few other questions on this tho.
How would you hook up a cooler gauge, and it there a special gauge for tranny coolers? I take it the cooler should come with all plumbing, or is that something I should get special plumbing for?
thanks for your help, this sounds like a simple cheap add-on that will give me something to do this weekend.

the ones ive seen come with all the plumbing , and usuallt they also sell a gauge for a little more . but dont have a clue where i would install it

Back