• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a transfer case. Any advice?

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
I need to replace my NP242. Since its a fairly big expense, I thought I'd ask if anyone can suggest a good place in So. Cal. to pick up a rebuilt unit without getting too badly ripped off. Any suggestions? How about online? Are there any online dealers I should stay away from?

There are plenty of t-cases for sale on these forums, and cherokeeforum. Do you absolutely have to stay with a 242, or would you consider swapping in a 231?
Price will also vary slightly, whether you need a 21-spl. or 23-spl. as well.

I was thinking something about this. Tom Woods I heard, for like $970 (470 dollars + 500 core charge) basically will ship you out a transfer case built with a Tom Woods driveshaft and SYE. You get 500 back when you ship your old t-case to them for a core. I wonder if this plan could possibly work?

I was thinking something about this. Tom Woods I heard, for like $970 (470 dollars + 500 core charge) basically will ship you out a transfer case built with a Tom Woods driveshaft and SYE. You get 500 back when you ship your old t-case to them for a core. I wonder if this plan could possibly work?

That sounds a bit cheap.....you might want to double check that.

Tom Woods I heard, for like $970 (470 dollars + 500 core charge) basically will ship you out a transfer case built with a Tom Woods driveshaft and SYE.

$470 with an SYE would be a hell of a deal. I'll check it out. Thanks.

$470 with an SYE would be a hell of a deal. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Don't quote me on this, this is just what I heard. The core might actually just be for the shafts and stuff, not the whole transfer case. As I've said, I don't know for sure but I thought I heard somewhere they'll ship you out the whole unit, built.
Basically though, your best option for an SYE on this transfer case is Tom Woods, or you can make one yourself by gathering some parts, but either way the transfer case doesn't have much to offer.
It depends really on if you plan on using the full-time 4wd or not, because that is basically the only significant difference between the 231 and 242. The 231 has a lot of aftermarket support and is easier to find.
Actually from looking on their site, it looks as though it is just the SYE kit. Darn.

Goatman has a 242 with SYE and driveshaft for sale... send him a PM. 'Goatman'. :)

He's driving down to drop a transmission at my place in the 626 on Saturday. If you work something out with him he can bring the 242 down at the same time.

Well, I've been checking Craigslist and this web site daily, and have struck out. Now I'm kind of running short on time because I've got a road trip planned for next week and really want to hit the road by Sunday if I can. So I've been looking on the internet for a shop that rebuilds T-cases in So. Cal., but I haven't found any. I may try opening it up and replacing the chain and see if that works, but I'd much prefer to just drop a rebuilt (or low mileage) unit into the rig to save time and trouble. And I do want to stick with the 242. So here's the question: Does anybody know a place locally that rebuilds T-cases, or that keeps rebuilt units in stock so that I don't have to wait for one to be shipped? Any recommendation would be much appreciated.

Scottys will have one on the shelf but it will cost you your first born.

American transmission exchange I've heard good things about and they did the tranny in my yj and I was happy but they took 2 months

Don't know how close either of those places are to you but that's what I can recommend since your in crunch time

If you aren't gonna need 4wd for that road trip, just throw a 231 in it, don't swap out the shift gate or anything, throw it in 2hi manually and just run it on the street using that while you rebuild/replace your 242. Then when you've found a replacement for the 242, swap it back in and sell the 231 for what you paid for it.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Mateoruiziii has one that he says is in good shape, so I'm going to try to work a deal with him.

What's wrong with the current case I think is just a stretched chain, but without opening it up its hard to know for sure. It still runs OK, but makes a racket that's getting steadily worse, so I wouldn't trust it on a long trip or offroad. I'm going up north next week to do some turkey hunting, and will most likely be using 4 wheel drive at times, so I need to have everything in good working order. If mateoruiziii's unit works out, I'll probably rebuild the old unit eventually and keep it as a spare.

Back