• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 w/ Discs

Skwerly

NAXJA Forum User
Hey SoCal. I'm considering picking up a NICE Dana 44 rear today. It has chromolly 30 spline shafts, 4.88 gears and a locker. It also has discs. Am I going to need to install a proportioning valve for that swap?

You shouldn't. I had rear discs on my 96 XJ and 98 XJ. Used the stock XJ prop valve. I have rear discs on the MJ now, but I will be swapping the prop valve because the MJs' valves are different.

plenty of people have thrown in 8.8's with discs right out of the yard without swapping the prop valve, you should be fine. i say do it and if you have a problem start looking for a valve. you'll still be able to drive it just fine.

Thanks y'all, that's just what I thought. :)

Okay, I'll buy this thing then. I can't wait for the 4.88s. Four-wheel drive will be funky for a while, though. :D
funky as in make your tcase explode if you put it in 4. if the gears dont match pull the front DS till they do!

Well, I got it home and the spring perches are 40 inches across eye to eye, and we measured the XJ at 44, which is 2 whole inches off per side. Anyone have a clue what vehicle a D44 with a 40" spring perch distance would come off of?

Of course, it was pitch black when we were measuring, but we couldn't have been that far off. It does have 4.88s, though, which I like. :D

Well, I got it home and the spring perches are 40 inches across eye to eye, and we measured the XJ at 44, which is 2 whole inches off per side. Anyone have a clue what vehicle a D44 with a 40" spring perch distance would come off of?

Of course, it was pitch black when we were measuring, but we couldn't have been that far off. It does have 4.88s, though, which I like. :D
Probably out of a yj

maybe a isuzu?

I would recommend getting a proportioning valve out of a rear disc ZJ or something when you can though. Tony had that rear disc conversion and with brand new everything, after a few thousand miles you could tell it wasn't getting enough pressure to help as much as it should.

whats the lug pattern?

i know honda passports had d44 with rear discs and 4.56s/4.88s stock.

a swap people for som reason people dont do often....

oh and i could tell the difference in my 96 without the proportioning valve.....

pump the pedal and the rears would lock up before the fronts.

I am putting the Honda Passport D44 in mine. It is now filled with an ARB, 5.13"s and custom alloy shafts. I found one of the reasons more people don't put them in XJ's is, when you try to relocate the spring perches the springs end up too close to the caliper brackets and will hit. You either have to move the leaf springs inboard, or 4 link it which is what I am doing.

Back