• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with ignition switch removal

fed_up_mp

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 94 XJ the only mods are a k&n filter and off road lights. the problem I have is that the vehicle will not turn over, I have power to everything, all fuses are good and the starter wastest and good. My only thought would be in the ignition switch. does any one know how to take the entire assembly out. Or has anyone had this problem.

Go to the underhood fuse block, put your finger on the starter relay and have someone turn the key. If it does click it's likely something after the relay, if it doesn't click likely it's the relay, the neutral safety switch or something before (wiring or ignition switch).
If it's an auto, it may be the neutral safety switch, which likely grounds the relay (I've never looked at a schematic).
Stick shift may have a safety or interlock of some type.

fed_up_mp said:
I have a stock 94 XJ the only mods are a k&n filter and off road lights. the problem I have is that the vehicle will not turn over, I have power to everything, all fuses are good and the starter wastest and good. My only thought would be in the ignition switch. does any one know how to take the entire assembly out. Or has anyone had this problem.

Turn the key with one hand and wiggle the shift lever around with the other--if it starts, the NSS needs to be adjusted/cleaned/replaced.

Back