• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't do low

4xfishfinder

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all how's it goin? THE HEEP, 94 XJ AW4, NP231, D/30,Chry.8.25. The problem is that it will not stay in 4-low. 4-hi no problem's. But 4-low keep's popping out of gear. Not good when trying to crawl. Linkage maybe? Thanks for the knowledge.

Well, how about you adjust the linkage?

Pull the 4x4 shift bezel. Pull the shifter into 4lo. Place a 3mm (1/8") "shim" (drill bit) between the shifter and the rear shift gate. Use a bungee cord to hold the shift lever firmly against the shim and shift gate.

Crawl under your XJ. On the upper shift rod there is a squarish block with a locking bolt in it--the adjusting trunnion. Loosen the bolt, use a pry bar or large channel locks to make sure that the transfer case is fully into 4lo, then tighten the locking bolt in the trunnion, remove the bungee cord and shim, re-install the bezel, you are done.

Now--do you have a transfer case drop installed? If you do post back for more info.

Mighty fine joe_peters. No t-case drop. I'll try the adjust after work tomorrow. Thanks for the how-to. Only about 2" of lift. Problem has been there since way before the lift.

Mighty fine joe_peters. No t-case drop. I'll try the adjust after work tomorrow. Thanks for the how-to. Only about 2" of lift. Problem has been there since way before the lift.

Be sure to post back the results.

sorry to hijack the thread, but I am having a similar problem on my XJ. I have a NP231 and aw4 i believe with a D30/8.25 set up. I do have a drop i kit installed at the moment ( it came that way from the guy I purchased it from). what would I have to do differently with a drop kit installed?

with a transfer case drop, there is "usually" nothing that you would need to do differently, but it becomes more necessary when you change the distance between the shifter linkage mounting point (trans. tunnel) and the case with the spacers.

OP-- check your motor and transmission mounts while you're under there. If they allow excessive movement, you'll see it in 4L first-- that's where the engine torque tries to pull the linkage out of gear.

These installation instructions for a Skyjacker drop kit show an adapter plate to change to restore the correct angle between the body/transfer case, should be easy to make: http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/TCL30.pdf

There is also a direct link mod using all-thread and rod ends, search and you should find a couple write ups with photos.

Well, how about you adjust the linkage?

Pull the 4x4 shift bezel. Pull the shifter into 4lo. Place a 3mm (1/8") "shim" (drill bit) between the shifter and the rear shift gate. Use a bungee cord to hold the shift lever firmly against the shim and shift gate.

Crawl under your XJ. On the upper shift rod there is a squarish block with a locking bolt in it--the adjusting trunnion. Loosen the bolt, use a pry bar or large channel locks to make sure that the transfer case is fully into 4lo, then tighten the locking bolt in the trunnion, remove the bungee cord and shim, re-install the bezel, you are done.

Now--do you have a transfer case drop installed? If you do post back for more info.

Do you think I have a transfer case issue if I cannot get the linkage arm to remain in 4-lo after loosening the trunnion nut? I tried shifting it into 4-lo with channel locks but it does not remain engaged. Ideas?

Do you think I have a transfer case issue if I cannot get the linkage arm to remain in 4-lo after loosening the trunnion nut? I tried shifting it into 4-lo with channel locks but it does not remain engaged. Ideas?

I think I posted in your own thread to try pulling the shift rod from the shift tab at the transfer case and try it just shifting using a pry bar or big channel locks. At the least you will find out if it is the linkage or you could have worn shift pads on the shifting forks, part number 3 here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-transfer-case/np-231-parts.htm

Yep, thanks. Got it fixed and posted a long reply in another thread.

Saw the other post, glad you got it.

It is really appreciated when people post up there fixes, it will always help someone else down the road--or alongside the road!

Back