• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Cherokee Cutting Off

FordJeepMan

NAXJA Forum User
My 95 4.0L will cut off with no warning while driving or at idle.I have maintained this jeep very well and it has new plugs,wires,cap ect. Had a spare {new} cps so I replaced it and it did not help. Sometimes when it dies it will not restart at all.I took adavantage of this and made sure that the cam pos sensor was working correctly by putting my meter on it while someone was cranking it over and I could see the 5 volt the signal pulling high and low. My fuel pressure is good even when it will not start around 38-39 psi. I have replaced the asd relay.I do not believe it is a fuel problem because my pressure is correct. I have checked all grounds and they are tight with 1 ohm from the block to the chassis. The only thing that I can think of now is the coil. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

So, you sound experienced--what is the missing element?

Fuel, air, spark, compression, all at the right time/place.

Something is missing and YOU have to determine what it is, then we can maybe help you.

The only thing that I can think of now is the coil.

I agree that a coil could be at play here. I've seen them exhibit "thermal" heat related intermittent failure.

Next time this happens, I'd pull a plug, ground the electrode, crank the engine and check for a strong, snapping blue spark. Would guess that you're missing spark when the engine dies, but this simple test will confirm this and keep the troubleshooting process moving.

Testing the coil for primary/secondary resistances WHEN symptomatic would be best but I'd test it even when running to see where it is at in the spec. ranges.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Replaced the coil and sure enough it has a big crack in it all the way down to the bracket that it attaches to.Very possible it was leaking to ground. So far its running good! Thanks!

Back