• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leafs/coils and shocks interchangeable?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
My suspension is worn the hell out on the '88. The local yard says they have 2 '96 XJ's. I'd like to pick the cleanest one and pull its springs and shocks. What are the chances they'll bolt right up?

Also wanted to add: Goal is 3" lift with a full pack, but now I'm real broke and so is my suspension. Hoping to just get it back to near stock (front sags at least 2", leafs are flat and rusted out).

Thanks for any help!

All stock suspension will directly bolt in. Being a 96 it will get you back alot closer to stock as long as the P.O. of the xj didn't overload it and cause it to sag out.

You could get both sets and do a XJ-XJ bastard pack, usually good for about 2" of lift. Also grab an extra pair of coil isolaters or two to level the front out. I don'yt know what your budget is, but i just thought I'd throw the idea out there!

Direct bolt in. Not sure just how broke your budget is, but OEM quality brand new shocks are $23 each at Advance Auto or $17 at AutoZone. At my local yard they charge 10 each for coil springs, not sure how much for shocks or leaves though. Also check your local chapter (MidWest Chapter for you) classifieds and see if anyone is dumping a set of stock leaves after doing a lift, I tried to give a bastard-pack suitable set away in NAC for a couple weeks before I ended up giving them to a scrapper on craigslist.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully the junked XJ's have decent susp yet. I'll let you know if anything cool happens.

Bastard pack, If you use the sapre main leaf with eyes cut off and another leaf, with a shackle should net 2.5-3.5" in the rear depending on shackle. Up front easiest would be, spare coil spring isolator and a ZJ V8 coil.

Johnnie walker is right, I totally forgot about the ZJ V8 coils. There's also the leafs from an S10 that can be used for a bastard pack. If you were closer to me I've got my old stock springs that I'd be more than happy to give you, but I'm way down in FL...

Back