• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tuffy overhead radio console???

BEEJSTR

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I have my '90 xj w/carpet and headliner out and am looking to improve the locations of my radios. Eventhough I don't have a snorkel yet and I take my doors off, my xj sees a fair bit of sand and water (had water up over the front seats [accidentally]). My cd player is in stock location and my CB is mounted on the pass. side of trans. tunnel. (Luckily I was smart enough to throw cb on dash when going through deep water) Also, I have a very nice $700 cd player I wanna use, but haven't installed yet due to wanting to keep it away from sand and water as possible.

So< I've been looking at the Tuffy overhead radion console for a couple years. Anyone have any experience using this in an XJ? I know it's not made for an XJ, but I'm sure I can do some fabrication and adapt it. Just looking for any comments about this from anyone.

Otherwise, I suppose I could always look into the tuffy center radio console (supposed to be "weather" proof) to put my cd player in and I can always mount my CB on the ceiling right behind my windshield. Like I said, just wondering what kinda comments anyone here may have. As always.....know I'll get great advice!!!!:farmer:

i would put in a marine radio where the guts have been double dipped or whatever they do to the marine grade stuff. I think they have nice ones from alpine ? I would spend a couple hundo on a marine one before i damaged a $700 head unit. :nono:

Pleaser post a link to this tuffy unit your talking about.

Yup, that'd be the one! It's just only made for Wranglers. What's the deal? But I'm sure I could make some fabrications on my own to make it work. Took some measurements last night and have some descent ideas in my head. Was just wonderin if anybody else had done this to an XJ. Or if anyone knew where to get a good deal on one. I heard they rattle/vibrate alot. But hell, like the rest of my Heep doesn't!!!! And as far as the marine stereo.....I'm gonna do all marine speakers and a sub-woofer when I get the chance, but just wanted to use this nice reciever since I have it and probably couldn't get much to re-sell it. Just thought this console would keep things nice and dry/clean/and secure.

Back