• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easiest way to change rear main seal?

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
My heep has been dripping more and more oil from what appears to be the rear main seal. Its gotten to the point where it drips on my exhaust and i hate the smell of it. Any one of yoos done this before? How much of a pain is it? Would anyone be able to assist? Thanks!

dude, its easy, pull the oil pan, pull the rear main cap, go to auto zone and get a cheap set of picks, grind one down, use it to push on one side. If you want I will come out their next weekend, and help you out.

peace
ted

The easiest way is when the motors on an engine stand =))

Hit up Mike (willy51).

At one point he was offering mobile RMS replacement service for a fair price.

dude, its easy, pull the oil pan, pull the rear main cap, go to auto zone and get a cheap set of picks, grind one down, use it to push on one side. If you want I will come out their next weekend, and help you out.

peace
ted
Hmm... might have to hit u up for that,

The easiest way is when the motors on an engine stand =))

yeah, no dice chino!

Hit up Mike (willy51).

I havent seen him on here for a while. Ill drive it to him if that makes it easier for him. I just dont want to have to do it if i can pay to get it done for a fair price.

Finch has been a busy beaver with his job. Not sure how available he is these days

Just a note; what I thought was a rear main seal leak turned out to be my pcv hoses/lines were clogged causing oil to presure up inside the engine and get pushed out the rms and who knows where else. Fixed the prob and it has'nt leaked since. Just a note

Hit up Mike (willy51).

Yup. Mike did the RMS on the MJ at a very, very fair price. I did drive to his place, so I probably got an even better deal.

Somebody (I forget who) advised me to get a factory replacement RMS.

Check for leaks at the head also. I replaced 3 rear main seals before I discovered the oil was coming from the back of the head and not the RMS. Clean it all off really well and confirm the source of the leak. I highly recommend you drop the extra coin for a premium rubber oil pan gasket.

Have you made sure your valve cover is torqued down properly?
When I first picked up my current XJ, I thought the RMS was leaking/maybe head. When I did a tune up on it and found out the valve cover bolts were not properly tightened, I did that and VOILA! No more oil leaks!

seems like almost everyone needs the RMS replaced.... heck this could turn out to be a DYS Wrenching party with an instructor guiding the class! lets set the date! :dunce: + :read: / :lecture: x :repair: =:party:

im almost certain it is cause of all the oil on the exhaust and on the tranny. ill power wash it and see where its coming from. But im almost certains its the RMS.

i see lots of it dripping from teh flew plate cover. hence why i think its the RMS.

4 suggestions
1:get a dealer replacment rms and one piece rubber pan gasket
2:wait till you have to change your oil anyways
3:if your oil pump hasn't been replaced before do it the same time autozone/napa sells them cheap
4: use a big tarp to catch the many drips you will have from the block or your driveway will look like a dalmation

It really is easy to do, if you can change your oil and service a differential you can change a rear main seal

Anyone local still feeling unsure can hit me up and ill help you out

Back