• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size U-joints do i need?

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All!

93' XJ, NP231 4x4, 4.0HO, 120K, AW4, Stock.

D30 up front and 27 spline 8.25 out back, do NOT have ABS.

I've done some research but keep finding mixed results. i have the FSM, and it tells me that i will either have a single or double Cardin. That being said, which one do i have?

If someone could help me search or point me in the right direction to how many u-joints are on my heep and what size they are, i would be eternally grateful.

Cheers!

false on the 760s for the front axle. those fit 97 and up with 297 shafts. also the older ones WITH ABS had the bigger ones. his is not abs. his are 260 joints.

someone correct me if im wrong

You are correct - I think up thru 1996 w/o ABS used the 5-260s.
OP - you need 5-260s for the front axle shafts.

if you want something stronger, find yourself a set of shafts out of a 97+ and throw 760s in. they are direct replacements of the 297s and are stronger. but I dont know what set up you are running

Nope,7 total-1 for each side of the front axle,3 for the front driveshaft,and 2 for the rear drivshaft.

OK. So that would make it:
Qty 2 5-260 (each end of the Axle near the wheels)
qty 5 1310's (1 for front DS to axle, 2 for front DS to TC, 1 TC to rear DS, and 1 rear DS to rear Axle)

right?

OK. So that would make it:
Qty 2 5-260 (each end of the Axle near the wheels)
qty 5 1310's (1 for front DS to axle, 2 for front DS to TC, 1 TC to rear DS, and 1 rear DS to rear Axle)

Once again, a little confusion on the part numbers. 1310 is the SERIES number for the driveshaft u-joints. There are several different part numbers within the 1310 series. And one of those part numbers is 5-153x, which is what you need. Just saying 1310 is not being specific enough. That's like saying you own a Jeep. Okay, a Jeep what?

And to make sure that you do in fact need the 5-260x u-joints for the axleshafts, you can measure the caps on your old ones. The 5-260x caps are 1-1/16 inches (1.06"). The 5-760x caps are 1-3/16 inches (1.18").

Thank you All for the education. It was EXTREMELY helpful! :)

along with your help i found this spicer site that helped with identification:
http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/dek350.aspx
- just put in your make/model year and 2WD/4WD and it will kick back your options as well as the exact measurements.

For anyone with a similar XJ to mine (NP231, 4WD, 1993 w/o ABS), here is what we need:
1. 5-260x (qty 2): for the axle wheel joints on the D30
2. 5-153x (qty 5): for D30 to front DS, DS double Cardan to TC (use 2), rear DS to Transmission, rear DS to axle.

Odd thing was when i looked up the double-Cardan joints (qty 2) the Spicer website i mentioned pointed me to 5-433-1x, but it's the exact same size as 5-153x... just thought that was kind of weird...

Sizes:
5-260x - 2.188 X 1.062 and 2.188 X 1.062
5-153x - 3.219 X 1.062 and 3.219 X 1.062

As with others comments, MAKE SURE of your D30 Ujoint sizes, if you have ABS or a 96+ XJ, you would then have the 5-760x which is a better/stronger UJoint (size: 2.188 X 1.188 and 2.188 X 1.188), which you can measure on your vehicle to confirm.

I hope this is helpful to the next person whom comes along that is completely new to U-Joints like i am.

Thanks again all!

The spicer site is probably right, it is telling you that because there may not be enough clearance for the grease zerks on a 5-153x to fit into the double cardan. Look at your driveshaft and a pic of a 5-153x online and figure out if the zerks will get beat up by the joint ears, looking at one of my spare joints and a spare shaft it looks like it could be close. I'm not entirely sure.

5-433-1x is a 1310 with a grease zerk in the end of one of the bearing caps, which tends to indicate they agree with me on this... I think.

Also, if you get regreasables (the ones that have been suggested to you) you MUST grease them immediately after installation and periodically during use, like every few months or whenever you go through deep water/mud.

I've used both styles of joint (greasable cross and greasable caps) in the front shaft-- If you don't like the clearance (as I didn't) you can use the zerk to grease it and then replace it with a plug to regain the clearance, but it becomes a PITA to swap them around each time you want to grease them up.

Kastein and Shorty - both of you make great points.

I personally would rather the non-greasable ones all over... I need to see if they have a non-greasable version of the 5-153x

They do. Never used em, but here's a page that lists some: http://billyxj.tripod.com/ujoints/U_joints.html

Apparently you want a 5-625x, non greasable / "lifetime greased". You really do want greasable ones though, it takes like five minutes to grease every joint on the XJ and a grease gun costs ~15-20 bucks at home depot. The greasables last MUCH longer if you take good care of them.

You really do want greasable ones though, it takes like five minutes to grease every joint on the XJ and a grease gun costs ~15-20 bucks at home depot. The greasables last MUCH longer if you take good care of them.

Well, i am sold then. I already have a grease gun and have just recently greased up my front end, so i can attest to the ease of greasing once you actually get around to doing it.

Well, i will stick with the ones from earlier, and go ahead and toss in the 5-433-1x for the double Cardan so that i won't have zerk clearance issues (30$ each vs 12$ though!)

Thanks again all for your insight!

Last edited:
5-433-1x not 533! I'm not sure if 533 is even a valid part number but it's definitely not what you want.

EDIT: vvv yeah, waiting for a test to finish at work. vvv

Last edited:
Back