• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my ride is stiff.

slwmotiontracers

NAXJA Forum User
okay I recently purchased an XJ and the suspension is stiff, here is what it has, I think I need longer springs but im not sure.

1995 Jeep cherokee sport

rustys offroad 3 inch suspension lift (lift springs, full leaf pack in the rear
lower control arms) Rocky road 3 inch spacer lift (3 inch spring spacers, 1.5
inch shackles, 1.5 inch blocks) 6 inch skyjacker hydrogen shocks

that is was is currently on it.

what do I need?

and you need to get rid of the blocks in the rear and get shackle relocation brackets that will fix your shackle angle if thats the problem

you need to take those blocks and spacers out. you are most likely maxed out on those short arms. If you want to keep it that height, I vote get yourself some 6 inch coils, a set of long arms, and a set of full leafs. no blocks.

Those large coil spacers are probably not helping. Get better springs.. maybe ZJ coils and a shorter spacer.
Definitely ditch the block and either build a bastard pack or buy a full leaf pack.

I have a similar pieced together lift setup made up of Rustys and others...crappy I know lol I have used the Skyjacker hydros shocks and the Rustys shocks that are almost identical and I will tell you they all suck...I just upgraded to Bilstein 5100s specifically valved and built for a Jeep Cherokee with a 6" lift and they made my extremely stiff ride into a bearable and comfortable fun ride on any road surface. I would upgrade the shocks and sell the Jackers on Craigslist or something. The drop brackets for the control arms made a big difference too.

and you need to get rid of the blocks in the rear and get shackle relocation brackets that will fix your shackle angle if thats the problem

X2. Shackle relocation is a great mod! I built my own brackets, but you can buy them as well. Search on here, there is good info posted on that. Improves the ride in the rear, and you could get rid of the no-good leaf spacers, and maintain your ride height.

As for the front, its probably the stock arms. Get drops, or long arms (i believe drops are cheaper) I heard Rough Country makes a great kit for drops. I saw a thread on here with lots of pics of the install. Again, search is your friend!

Another consideration is your front sway bar. Make sure it is at the correct angle... other words, make sure your links are the correct length. I helped my friend adjust his and it improved ride quality, and actually got rid of a slight rattle that was occurring over bumps.

Best of luck to you!

Back