• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THinking about buying an XJ..question???

awdxtc

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to buy an XJ and I found one that is only a few hours away. The ad says it has a rusty's offroad lift kit. When looking at the pics it looks like the back of the jeep is about 2" lower than the front. I was wondering if someone would look at these pictures and let me know if it looks "normal"
1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2-Door 4WD

By the look from the one front, the acos's are creating a 2"spacer in the front. Without the spacer, the springs are probaly the same height.

it doesnt look like an acos spacer it just looks like a regular 2 in spacer and it looks to sit pretty level to me and its no big deal if the rear is a lil bit lower you can always get shackles or shackle relocation brackets and i think you should buy it i mean its only 5 grand thats not to shabby

yea i understand and usually the spring will start to settle after some use which is normal and like i said its an easy fix if its something that really bothers you and its also a cheap fix too which are the best kind of fixes

and if you run into any problems this site is a great place to get info and help but just make sure u take the time to search first or you will get flamed

Does that look like a rustys long arm kit or a long arm kit of any kind? I am pretty new to the off road scene.

it has and ACOS spacer. You can see it in the 6th picture.
Not sure whose long arms those are, but the build looks decent.
Looks like the steering has been addressed, and has the trackbar.
I wouldn't worry about the stance front to rear, it's easily fixed, an d if you wheel it you're going to be replacing things in the suspension anyway.

I would check out the front real well, and find someone that knows something about it and go look. Things that look good on the surface may not be true. Might have crappy rod ends on the long armd that will need replaced, might have a hack trackbar mount.

I suggest you go post up in the local chapters subforum and see if one of those guys would be willing to meet up and take a look at it.

that site seems to be a small dealership, and that scares me.

may i recommend you get one cheaper, and put the lift kit on yourself? you can get these dirt cheap, and pickout the parts YOU WANT.

maybe that bumper is just too much for me....

either way, welcome to the site! hope to see you in mod tech!

Thanks for all of the info. If there is anything else I should look for let me know. I was also going to have a compression check done on it. Does anyone know the the compression should be on the 4.0 ?

rust! cracks on the driver side frame near the steering box, dana 35 (not a deal breaker, can be delt w/ later on). obvious signs its been BEATEN off road... excessive creaks in the unibody (if in doubt, theyre normal, these things creak once theyve been used hard)

2 doors also have sagging doors sometimes... theyre heavy!
i usually get ~160psi compression, pretty damn uniform.

also, TEST DRIVE IT, far! try to make it death wobble. some people sell their jeeps out of frustration, after they cant fix their death wobble.

hit a pothole HARD with each tire, one at a time, feeling for any shimmy.
if it starts to wobble, slow down untill it stops, and hand back the keys (or offer them less)

Back