• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are Rough Country Shackles greasable?

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
im looking to ass some shackles to my 4.5 lift in the hope of clearing 35's. I like the RC brackets because of the adjustability. I figure if i load my jeep down i can add the extra half an inch to make up for weight!!! Not to mention they are like the cheapest shackles out there.

My only concern is if they are greasable or not, this is daily driven so im not trying to have any more squeaky sqeak unless i cant help it

That's sad to know... I cant see why anyone would produce non-greasable shackles

They also dont recommend making them greasable

Check e-bay, there's quite a few different shackles available, and some are greasable.

They also dont recommend making them greasable

Do you happen to know the reasoning behind this? Pretty curious. I drilled and tapped my RC shackles and put a zerk to grease. Hoping that wasn't a mistake.

Do you happen to know the reasoning behind this? Pretty curious. I drilled and tapped my RC shackles and put a zerk to grease. Hoping that wasn't a mistake.
No I dont know why, their tech guy just said don't do it

i coulnt see how it would possibly hurt???? this was what i was thinking of doing but after i buy drillbuilts, taps and all i might as well buy rustys 1.5 shackles

No I dont know why, their tech guy just said don't do it

Whoops, well we'll see how they hold up. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll keep an eye on them

The only reason I can think of is they are worried about a crack forming around the hole or something. I really don't think the stresses are high enough to cause any in the short term, but maybe over a large service cycle? I really don't feel like calculating any of this but I think you get the idea.

I believe the reason the tech guys say not to use grease is, petroleum grease(normal grease) will eat away a rubber bushing. The greasable shackles you buy should come with urethane bushings and the grease shouldn't hurt them. I would use lithium grease on any bushing. Just my 2 pennies.

Back