• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daddy got new shoes

Mc2KXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I brought the Mean Green Death Machine into ACRO to get my new MTR Kevlar 12.5 33s put on and the Currie adjustable LCAs to hopefully drop the 'Death' from the name. (If the shop was empty and the MTRs had a uterus,... just sayin. :) :smootch:
3-1.jpg

The MTRs, as it turns out, are a true 33" compared to my TSL 10.5 33 Swampers and made a huge difference when it came to fitting with my lift.
6.jpg

This became very apparent when I left the shop and the tires rubbed simply by turning out of the parking lot. I had a set of springs ready to be added to my pack but didn't have new U-bolts so I stopped by Gitt Springs and had a new set made. I cut out the old bolts and removed the springs.
813_0506.jpg

I rebuilt my leaf pack and gained about 4" (way more than I wanted) and ended up having to spend a lot of time making adjustments. I don't want to be unnecessarily higher than I need to be.

I planned on (and was stoked about) being able to try out the new tires at Evan's Creek over the weekend, but the work on my Jeep lasted longer than expected. I really need to learn to ask for help sometimes. :doh:
First, the tires are AWESOME on the road. Much, much quieter, no sliding around corners, quicker stopping, just all around better performance. I don't know if it's possible, but my Jeep actually feels like it has more power now.

Before
813_0509.jpg

After
813_0510.jpg

Before
813_0504.jpg

After
813_0508.jpg

I had to cut the front fenders a little more.
Before
1-1.jpg

After
813_0511.jpg

813_0517.jpg

I still haven't had a chance to flex it out to see what else needs to be modified, but I'm sure I'll need to alter my bump stops a bit and possibly do some more cutting.[/quote]

(Yes, I know "white out" looks retarded, but that is the way they come for 33" and below :bawl:)

Rich,
Sorry you didn't make it up to Evan's.
The Jeep looks great with the new shoes. Any chance you weighted the old vs. new (preferably mounted)?

I would be very interested in getting your impressions after a few run's with these off road.

Michael

It's a sad state of affairs when I won't buy a set of tires due to asthetics. I'll be in the market for a new set of tires after summer, currently have the older MT/R's. I've been trying to decide if it's time to try some KM2's, and this may have pushed me over the edge. Just can't do white lettering. Love my MT/R's. :(

It's a sad state of affairs when I won't buy a set of tires due to asthetics. I'll be in the market for a new set of tires after summer, currently have the older MT/R's. I've been trying to decide if it's time to try some KM2's, and this may have pushed me over the edge. Just can't do white lettering. Love my MT/R's. :(

Mine are black wall on my 40's.
Do the other sizes not come in black wall also?

Michael

Looks great Rich! After wheeling with Hans a couple days ago, I think 33's and 4.5" lift is a great combo for an XJ.

FWIW, I love my new MT/R's. They surprised me with the amount of grip I was getting on wet roots and rocks. But according to John @ ACR&O, they all come with white letters on 33 and smaller tires. Maybe it will come off with a sander ;)

Looks good, Rich. Still on the fence between KM2's and the Goodyears myself though.

Last edited:
What is a good price on them?
I call my buddy he says he can get me 35 12.5 15 for 188 each Brand new!!! Droped off at my work for free.

Is that good? Iv been looking and that's the best I found

Yeah, the best I've found was around $199 each on 33x12.5's. That includes mounting and balancing at a friend's shop. $193 ea for KM2's.

Nice meats btw, how much caster were you running before, and what do you plan on running after the arms are installed? That could make a big factor if everything else is up to snuff.

Gotta pitch in here, the new MT/R's are amazing tires. Threw them on a few weeks ago after shredding my 31's offroad. Stepped up to the 33" which is, as previously mentioned, a true 33. Mounted on the XJ them measured out to 32 7/8, which is freaking close enough. As they are asymmetrical you don't have a choice - white letters out, again as previously mentioned. However, black tire-shine works beautifully to black-out the letters for those cosmetically concerned.
Discount Tire has them for $227 each, and when I got mine they had an $80 rebate, thus reducing the tires to $207. And for any military peeps out there, they offer 10% off, which covers the lifetime warranty.

Gotta pitch in here, the new MT/R's are amazing tires. Threw them on a few weeks ago after shredding my 31's offroad. Stepped up to the 33" which is, as previously mentioned, a true 33. Mounted on the XJ them measured out to 32 7/8, which is freaking close enough. As they are asymmetrical you don't have a choice - white letters out, again as previously mentioned. However, black tire-shine works beautifully to black-out the letters for those cosmetically concerned.
Discount Tire has them for $227 each, and when I got mine they had an $80 rebate, thus reducing the tires to $207. And for any military peeps out there, they offer 10% off, which covers the lifetime warranty.

You passed me at Walker Valley last Saturday. I was really impressed with the MT/R's up there. I even made the rock face while it was wet and slick.

I've got the older MT/R, they do just about everything well. If they've improved on it, I can't imagine how well they'd perform. As far as it being the best "all around tire", my vote would be "yes!", but there will still be some differing opinions.

Back