• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing PS pump. anything else i should do to it???

DementedXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My powersteering pump is making some noises that i know it shouldn't so im going to replace it this weekend. is there anything else that should be done while replacing the pump? Do you have to do anything special or just replace and fill with fluid. thanks!!

Replace both hoses - you'll have to pull them anyhow.

Fill the new pump, jack up the front (suspend both front wheels,) and leave the cap off. Check the pump while you "bump" full lock on each side, and turn between the extremes slowly. This will help to get air out of your system - and you'll want to check frequently while you're doing this, since you'll probably purge some air and therefore the fluid level will drop slightly. It's not as bad as what you'll be dealing with if you change the gear, but it's still there.

After the fluid level stays stable, check the fluid again in a week, or if you hear strange noise. You'll probably lose a bit more fluid during break-in of the pump - since the seals have to swell slightly and become pliable, and will then leak just a bit. When you check the fluid in a week, clean the pump - then check the pump proper in a week to make sure it's still not leaking.

Get flare nut wrenches for the flare nuts on the lines! If you round off those flare nuts, you'll be kicking yourself very hard and saying many evil words... I've seen it happen - but I've got a full set of flare nut wrenches myself, so I haven't had a problem with that...

5-90

You'll also need a PS pulley puller to swap over your existing pulley to the new PS pump. Don't use anything other than the puller designed for this purspose. You can rent one at most tool rental places for about $7. It helps if you bring the pump with you to make sure you get the right puller....

Add a cooler in the return line.

5-90 said:
Replace both hoses - you'll have to pull them anyhow.

I disagree with having to change the lines at this time. His Xj is a 98. He should do a visual inspection of the lines and if any cracking/chafing has occured , then consider replacement. new lines can start at 30 bucks a piece and go up from there.
And you don't have to remove the hoses, just disconnect the pump side.

Back