• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

backspacing/offset Q (specific jeep rim)

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
for a short while i replaced the street tread i had on my stock XJ with a 30x9.50 A/T. had no issues with rubbing, and had full turning radius with this jeep wheel. a later move meant that i did not need two sets of wheels/tires so i did some wheeling and dealing (no pun intended) before the move. i WANTED moabs, but couldnt find any in time. i ended up settling with my second favorite rim and sticking my street treads on them.

now im looking to get new tires, and want to go back to 30s. but im curious if my new wheels are going to give me a problem by hurting my turning radius and rubbing on the control arms. all i know is that they are in fact an inch wider (8"), so unless i destroy the jeep they will last as long as i plan to own the vehicle.

what are the offsets and backspacings of both rims?

The "new" wheels that you have are called Gamblers, and they can be found on TJ's. They are a 15x8 wheel with 5.25'' backspacing.

The older ones that you had pictured are the aluminum 5 spokes that came stock on many cherokees. They are 15x7, with 5.25'' backspacing.

Now we get to do a little math :)

To calculate the offset, you subtract the backspacing from the overall width of the wheel and divide by two.
So, for the Gamblers, the offset is (8-5.25)/2= 1.375''
And for the aluminum 5 spokes, the offset is (7-5.25)/2= 0.875''

So, the Gambler wheels may cause some slight rubbing at full turn because of the increased tire size combined with the larger offset.

Last edited:
thanks a ton for the info. so according to the math both rims have the same backspacing, but since the gambler rim is 1" wider it has .5" more offset.

this doesnt sound like it would be a problem with the same size tire would it? or am i missing something?

Back