• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it bad?

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
Is it bad to want to sell your XJ? I've almost been thinking of selling mine to get a Bronco I found. Problem is, I doubt I'll get much for my Jeep and I'm pretty attached to it. It has like no resale value but is extremely reliable. However I don't know how much it is worth anyway.

Yeah perhaps, although right now my Jeep probably doesn't get much better mileage than the Bronco.
It all depends on how much the person wants for it. I really don't want to sell the Jeep because I won't get hardly anything for it. I've dumped a huge load of time and money into it as well.

I really wouldn't turn my back on something that has been so reliable for you, especially since you do not seem to have a lot of cash lying around.

I'd think long and hard before I traded my gem for a possible bucket of problems. :)

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but from the get-go I've been saying it depends on what price the person gives me. If I get that Bronco for a great deal than I might consider it.
Right now my Jeep just needs the main money dump items. Regear, rear axle, locker or two, plate the unibody, fix the steering pump and brace the box, skid plates and sliders.

Yeah that's what is kinda straying me away from it. I really like my Jeep and all, it's just gonna be a giant money pit from here on in. Oh well, I'll see what they want for it. If it's too much then no big deal, I'll just keep building my Jeep.

The only things that will be the money pit are the regear/locker and perhaps rear axle. I've calculated it out and even if I do it myself I'd barely be under $1000 for parts and one Aussie. $1000 is a lot of money to me right now, that's not exactly change I find in the couch.
I need to do this stuff soon though. The Jeep has a huge power loss trying to push 33s on stock gearing, and the body moans and groans so bad it sounds like it will fold itself up.

What gears are you planning on going to?

8.8 w/ 4:10 are plenty cheap right now. Get even luckier and find a 4banger XJ front, and you are re-geared on the super cheap.

I've felt like that, had an XJ traded for an old cj back to another xj still had the feeling so my solution, Bought another XJ lol.

Honestly the XJ can be a money pit, but it performs very well stock and just gets better as you accessorize. You’re looking at the BIG picture of everything that you "want" to do. Focus on what you "can do" right now. Prioritize what needs to be done. good deals are here to be had a lot of people here will go out of their way to help install parts or fix a broken jeep and others will give you a hell of a deal on parts.

Yeah perhaps, although right now my Jeep probably doesn't get much better mileage than the Bronco.
It all depends on how much the person wants for it. I really don't want to sell the Jeep because I won't get hardly anything for it. I've dumped a huge load of time and money into it as well.

I sold my XJ (RE long arm lift, Bilstein shocks, BFG 33's etc) for my Bronco and couldn't be happier. TCM GLX sold his EVEN NICER XJ and bought a Bronco too and feel the same way.

Remember, you are asking on a JEEP site what to do...........:doh:

I really wouldn't turn my back on something that has been so reliable for you, especially since you do not seem to have a lot of cash lying around.

I'd think long and hard before I traded my gem for a possible bucket of problems. :)

Nice thinking but you don't know what "could" happen to yours tomorrow either so let's get realistic not just side because you like yours. By the way, how are those power windows doing? :gag:

But Skwerly is right, if money is tight you should rethink selling and even modding your XJ right now.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but from the get-go I've been saying it depends on what price the person gives me. If I get that Bronco for a great deal than I might consider it.
Right now my Jeep just needs the main money dump items. Regear, rear axle, locker or two, plate the unibody, fix the steering pump and brace the box, skid plates and sliders.

Since you say sliders (and no one has asked).
What are your plans? If you want to rock crawl, a Bronco isn't your best bet (stick with XJ). If you want a great platform and want to go fast (Sell your XJ). If you want to do everything good (stick with your XJ). My XJ was really good at everything. My Bronco is too wide to run some trails XJ's run and has too little ground clearance for big rocks without going stupid high on the lift. That said, ride with Tony in his Bronco in the desert and you would wonder why you didn't already own one (as well as drive to and from there at 80mph with no worries of death wobble or overheating). hahaha

Right, but you know what it needs. What if this Bronco loses a transmission right off the bat? I always get nervous changing things when I'm a bit behind the eight-ball anyhow. :D

AGAIN...Nice thinking but you don't know what "could" happen to yours tomorrow either so let's get realistic not just side because you like yours.

But Skwerly is right, if money is tight you should rethink selling and even modding your XJ right now.

If you know the right people, it really isn't that big of a money pit :D

This has always saved me. :worship:

Last edited:
Andy, you forgot to mention doing 80 with the A/C on and not overheating!!!

So serisously, I back Andy up 100 percent. The XJ is great at all, but masters none. If you want a good overall rig, keep it, if your crawling, well, its not bad, and if your desert running, sell and buy the bronco.

I enjoyed my XJ a great deal, but am much happier with the Bronco, it suits my needs 100 percent better.

Oh, and gas, I'm getiing 15 mpgs in the Bronco, pretty close to XJ mileage. There is a guy that pulls 18 - 19 mpgs on his bronco.

I've basically never DD anything but this Jeep, I'm going on 5 years with it (well, I owned an 88 S10 Blazer 2wd for a bit but never really drove it). My mom is a Jeep person and got me into Jeeps, I simply took it to the next level and decided to get into off-roading. I like general off-roading. I do anything I can from trails, backwoods, mud, sand, rocks, anything I can. I need rock sliders because around here it seems the only type of wheeling I can do is in the rocks.
To be honest, rock crawling is the least fun out of the bunch with my XJ. My XJ hates it with a passion, I end up getting stuck on the stupidest things and end up playing chess with the object that I'm hanging up on for like 45 minutes before I find out just what move I should make.
I'm basically sure if I can tune the Bronco's suspension right I could possibly do some trails still. Granted I won't be able to squeeze in everything but I can still get close, a lot of the stuff I do I see full-size pickups do just fine.
This Bronco has about a 6" lift I'm guessing and is on 35s. I don't know what other mods have been done like gearing or anything.

Sounds like you are thinking clearly. Both will have strengths and weaknesses. I think you would need a locker to make rocks easier with a TTB front end (they do fine but don't articulate like solid axle).

I'm not knocking Jeeps, I wish I could have kept mine AND bought the Bronco but wasn't the case, I just love my Bronco for what I do with it.

I guess it boils down to how much money the Bronco is and what it needs. I didn't think anyone on here would talk me into getting a Bronco but it seems a few of you have gone through this dilemma.
Either way I'd probably get another XJ sometime, but there's a lot that I'd do differently.

Xj's are a great all around vehicle but isn't the best at anything. I miss my yj for wheeling but the xj is better for daily duties. When I finally get back on my feet I will get another car and sell my xj to build another yj or possibly a k5 blazer again.
I guess my point is you are the only one that can decide what you want out of your rig and what fits the bill best.

I may end up selling my XJ for space issues, but anything bigger is going to get worse gas mileage or will be diesel which is more expensive and washes out the savings in fuel consumption..haha...

The biggest thing that keeps me in my cherokee is how reliable its been, the fact that I have been able to fix everything that is worn out or broken on it, the fact that it does in fact carry my family, tow a trailer and return decent mileage. (17-19)

Plus, I love shopping for/reading about modifications that might improve it. I honestly love that I have like 10 lift kit choices to choose from. I've been a jeep guy for a long time...had a CJ-7, a Jeepster, an LJ wrangler, and now my XJ

BEST4x4xFAR. (stole that from land rover, they were given it by mistake) :)

Blessings. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you and yours.

-Brian

I'm not really sure what to do. First I was set on keeping my Jeep, then I kinda got interested in this Bronco, now I'm not sure. Gas mileage I already understand will be less with a Bronco for obvious reasons, not much I can do about that short of swapping in a different engine such as a 300 I6 or Powerstroke.
I don't have a family and I hardly ever have anyone in my Jeep, I rarely even use the rear doors, so size is not much of an issue.
I'll need to regear to 4.56 with this Jeep, 4.10s I don't think will cut it for me.
My friend just had a few XJs, one was on 31s and the other one was on 33s with a 4.7 stroker he swapped in, he didn't have either of them for very long at all before he got himself a Bronco. Apparently he hates the XJs. I can kinda understand because I got my Jeep in Michigan and everything on this Jeep broke.

Back