• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carb Shops??

tjs88xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 89 Toyota Corolla SR5. Needs the carb rebuilt. Anyone know of any carb rebuild shops on the eastside, or South King, North Pierce county? I've never taken apart a Carb, and have no desire to try now.

89 and carb? thought toyo went to efi about 86.....?

There used to be a line of shops called "Carburetor Connection" or "Carburetor Specialities" or something like that. My reference is from about 15 years ago so they may not be around anymore. I had them do some work ages ago on a dual carb set up that I had. They came very well refered and seemed to do acceptable work for me.

There really isn't much to a carb. You should be able to find a decent forum or shop manual and do it yourself if you can't find anything else.

Michael

carb shop in kent... its on east valley and about 190th . right on the big sweeping corner. there's a vw place in the same complex as well. and if that don't work, i'm sure john would love to rebuild it for you at acro.

take it off and get a webber 32/36

take it off and get a webber 32/36

Yeah then tune it properly to make it run on your specific vehicle.... Sorry. I hear way too many stories about people expecting a bolt on to run perfectly out of the box.

A Weber 32 / 36 DGV kit would be an excellent choice for the Toyota but would need to be properly tuned to the specific rig to deliver proper performance; this includes jet changes.

Yeah then tune it properly to make it run on your specific vehicle.... Sorry. I hear way too many stories about people expecting a bolt on to run perfectly out of the box.

A Weber 32 / 36 DGV kit would be an excellent choice for the Toyota but would need to be properly tuned to the specific rig to deliver proper performance; this includes jet changes.

X2 good carb. though. Should see what you can get one from your local parts store. The guy I work with just got a holly reman for $136 and some change. I didn't even know holly did reman oem carbs.

A rebuilt was like 425 bucks from schmucks. Only paid 400 for the car. Dont have to worry about emissions, at least. It runs like shiat, though. Thanks for the replies.

It runs like S.H.I.T. Idle fluctuates from 1200-2000. Sprayed carb cleaner around, trying to find vac leaks, and the idle increases when sprayed around the throttle linkage. I'm thinking maybe it is a gasket between the carb and intake, that is leaking. I assumed you wouldnt touch it John. TONS of shops pretty much refuse to mess with Carbs these days.

It must be one of the first ecm controlled cars. I have a 91 and it is full efi. Can you check for codes on that year? may be obd-1 also It may be worth buying a $20. repair manual. Because if you do take it to a shop most likely about $90. and hour.

If you decide to re-build the Carb I might be interested. I'm very good at carbs. I kind of grew up re-building and modifying Amal and SU carbs as an appetizer. I'm not particularly experienced with the computer controlled aisin but I've re-built two non-computer aisin carbs so far, without reliability issues.

You would have to do the leg work though: drop the car at my house with the best, most expensive, awesomest carb specific rebuild-kit including the vacuum diaphragms.

Before you go down this road, is the car worth it?

Unfortunatly, I went in and transferred the title yesterday. Today, a car that I had been waiting on, and was told wasn't going to come through, came through. So, I need to try and sell the Corolla, to buy this other one. I paid 400, and between the tune up and licensing, have 600 into it. Gonna try and sell it for 500. Unfortunatly, not going to get the title for 4 weeks. I think I'll try and put a base gasket on it, so it runs better. It starts right up, but the idle fluctuates a lot, and it has a hole in the tail pile I need to fix.

Back