• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy load

islandbum

NAXJA Forum User
My dd is a 1992 xj with a two inch lift shackle in back. I live in the land of speed bumps (cheaper than police) they are everywhere.
My problem comes in when I have a load in the back or people. I bottom out on the shocks. Not bad but just to the point where the passenger ask what was that " I thought this was a jeep and could go anywhere" I don't need more lift. Just not sure what to do? Any ideas

Well, you can keep from bottoming out (and damaging) your shocks with longer bump stops.

Of course, you will be hitting the bump stops, but at least you will save the shocks.

Either get skinnier friends and carry lighter loads OR build a bastard pack. With a bastard pack you could get the two inches of lift without using the extended shackles.

Your problem really is sagging springs, common on the XJ with a little age on it.

Search bastard pack, plenty of ideas for sources of salvage yard parts and how-to write ups with pictures.

Also sounds like the shocks could be messed up as well.

Could the rear shocks be the wrong ones? Too long?

Could the suspension be bottoming out and the OP think it is the shock?

Was longer shocks fitted to the XJ or are they the OEM length?

easy way to find out what's hitting - put some chalk on the bumpstops. hit bumps till you hear the noise. If there is now chalk on the axle you're hitting the bumpstops, else, you are bottoming out the shocks like you think

I had a really hard time figuring out the right length shocks after I moved my mounts up after the jeep was lifted etc. It is possible your leafs are pretty worn out & adding a leaf might be the anwser. It is also possible you need a different length shock. I ended up adding a heavy duty overload leaf in my leaf pack so there was no possible way to bottom out the shock, but its not as flexy now. Check out the shock length chart it may help you figure something out....http://www.monroe.com/catalog/miscApplications.asp

Back