• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone else had a knocking noise after fitting a truetrac?

Gordy

NAXJA Forum User
This all started after the detroit truetrac went in. Whats happening is the truetrac must be slightly different around the area where the C clips fit in, therefore allowing the axle to move in and out a little more than the usual 1/8 in or so. The knocking noise is halfshaft outer hub knocking against end of the axle. I need a modified/slightly wider or stepped C clip to prevent the excess movement. Anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
My old XJ has been running TrueTracs front and rear for five years (80,000 miles). No knocking noises yet, they whine a bit but they have endured chocolate milkshake lube more times than I can remember.

truetrac's front and rear here also , no knocking noise after 10k miles or so .

what axle gordy , front 30 ~ rear 35~or 8.25 ?

the first ( of two ) for the 8.25 had a warped ring gear flange with .008 runout
and destroyed my oe 3.55 gears on a trip up north ( about 400 miles ) and yes it was broken in correctly before the trip .

the replacment took forever to arrive , and came with the wrong center spacer and outer plug / snap ring . glad i still had the first ones .

i thought oh well , might as well regear to 4.10 's.
the only real issue i have had is with the front d30 , it has such a heavy preload that after driving on the highway for 30~45 minutes
it starts to act like a spool and the truck will not turn for an offramp .( in 2w hi )
this has happened 3 or 4 times and the only way to get it to "unload "
is to mash the throttle ( counter intuitive ) .. and a real WTF moment !!!!

I had the exact opposite problem on my 8.25 TruTrac, I had to grind the spacer and the ends of the Yukon axles to allow enough room for the spacer to fit. I called Detroit's Tech department and they had never heard of this happening before. I've got 10k on the rear end and about 8k of that is heavy towing or off-roading and no problems.

This upgrade was one of the best changes that I have made to my XJ so far.

I'm running a dana 35. Since I fitted it I immediatly became aware of a knocking noise at the rear. I replaced the shackles, shock bushes, removed the leaf springs, greased everything up back there, eventually I found out that it was the axle. It appears the dana 35 is designed to have about 1/8 in end play allowing the half shafts to move in and out. The truetrac for some reason is allowing a little more than this 1/8 in and the noise is the hub knocking against the end of the axle when you rock the wheel/tyre in a sideways motion. A slightly modified thicker or stepped C clip would reduce this excess movement, but it's not essential as no harm will be done. I'm also thinking about welding a thin ring on the end of the axle say 2mm think, to lengthen the axle tube. The movement is only excessive on one side (left side). I read elseware on naxja that the D35C axle's were finnished off by DC and not to the highest standards, ie axle tubes going in off centre etc. I realise every Jeep is different and I'm figuring I may well have a D35C with an axle tube pressed in say 1mm more thus allowing more movement.

Last edited:
Only problem i've had with my truetrac is it has allowed me to force a lock in the front and break shafts, and u-joints, and ring grears. No knocking, no clunking, but a bit of groaning when I load it up with one wheel in the air.

I'm also thinking about welding a thin ring on the end of the axle say 2mm think, to lengthen the axle tube. The movement is only excessive on one side (left side).

Couldn't you just make the spacer bigger, its just a round slug that any machine shop could cut out of some bar stock for the corected length to prevent the shaft from shifting back and forth.

Back