• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

N231 / N242 Swap

Input shaft spline needs to be the same, early XJ's have different spline count.

so? I can unbolt my 231 and bolt in a 242? :) without any mods?
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Subscribing to learn. I have the 242 in my Liberty KJ and I really like it. I like it enough that I would swap my 231 for a 242. Can you still buy a NEW 242?

Last edited:
Your 231 should be a 23 spline... i think they switched from 21 to 23 spline in 91 or something like that. So make sure you find a NP242 that is 23 spline and your set. Make sure to get the the linkage and the speedo sensor and light sensor to.

Other that a complete swap, unbolt the 231 drop it, slide the NP242 in and bolt it all back up, try and do the linkage first that will make things alot easier. the 242 will hang a inch or so lower then your 231 did. Good luck!

May need to adjust current linkage, or use linkage from donor t-case. Other than that it is plug'n'pray. And the T-case shifter bezel if you are that anal about it.

New 242's are about $1200. Any rebuilt 242 with a new chain, shift fork pads, and seals will go another 200,000 miles.

Where's the best place to buy NEW or USED?

Where's the best place to buy NEW or USED?

Well if you want to do it cheaper then $1200, then either go to the Junkyard (if ones close) take an hour or so and pull it, buy a new chain, bearings, seals and swap them in and you will be good to go for less then $350, or just cruise around NAXJA for someone that is getting rid of one, you can find a smoking deal on those.

But for a new one try
http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/cPath/2880_87_565/products_id/23156
and other sites. or go to the dealership and spend $1500+

light sensor to.

Sorry to Jack the topic but I was wondering.......
I just bought a 97 XJ it had a 242 in it from the factory and when the guy did the lift since it's 6.5" he put a 231 w/sye in it. I would like to get the dash lights to work to le me know when 4x4 in in or out? What would I have to do? Also if someone knows with the 231 can you still rin like on the Hwy in the winter with it in 4x4 or not?
Sorry my last one had the 242 and I know I could run whenever in the winter with it in 4x4 just not too sure about the 231?
Thanx!

It's usually easy to find a used 231 with a SYE for sale than a 242 with a SYE already done. A 6.5" lift doesn't mean you can't have a 242 with SYE.

Unless the roads are completely snow covered, the 231 can be tiresome in the winter compared to a 242. Our JK has a 241 (similar to a 231) and on tree covered alpine roads where the road has intermittent snow and ice cover it's a constant juggle between 2wd and 4wd. People that have never got used to driving a 242 in winter just don't understand why 242 drivers prefer them to a 231.

If you prefer a 242, speak to Tom Woods about an SYE. Cherokees had the regular 242, Durangos had the 242HD and Hummer H1 had the 242AMG. The AMG version is the strongest and they can be modified to provide 2wd mode. I am pretty sure MJR has a modified 242AMG in his Waggy. I've got a regular 242 with a Tom Woods SYE which has been good for the last 4-years of use.

To use 4x4 in a NP231 equipped vehicle the surface you are driving upon must be able to allow for "slippage" of the different wheels--"slippage" is a poor word, a better word would be "differentiation"--each of the wheels on an axle needs to have some "differentiation" from the other to prevent the transfer case from binding up and damage occurring.

Ok, RAIN does not provide enough "differentiation". Snow and ice do, but those pesky dry spots will kick your A**! Sand, dirt, rocks, no problema.

thanx guys I just had the 242 in my last one and was just wondering about how different this one will be?
Thanx again!!!

Back