• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trussing dana 60's

xXxJay

NAXJA Forum User
I want to truss my front and rear dana 60's. I am planning on using 2x6x1/4" square tube. Cut bent knotched and shaped around pumpkin, for reinforcing during high speed mud runs, minor air? Ive been told the axle housings are rather weak and will bend after hard use. The reason i bought d60's was i thought they were a rough tough setup.
thanks
dave

Question? ;) Sounds likes a good plan, any axle can benefit from a good truss. If you're disappointed with the 60s go ahead and send them my way. :D

A lot I've seen tend to bolt a ring around the diff cover, or at least tie into a couple bolt from the diff cover to tie the diff into the truss.

I would never tell someone not to make their junk stronger, or not to truss their axles. I should probably truss mine, but I have not.......no trussing on either front or rear D60. Have wheeled it hard, run two KOH's and pre-run for a 3rd. Mine aren't stock 60's, which I believe all have 1/2" thick tubes. Mine are Tera CRD60's, which are very strong center sections, with 3/8" tubes.

I think the risk is smacking something really hard at speed. Just wheeling and doing some jumping probably won't hurt them. Of course, that depends on the weight of the vehicle. Someone with a full size truck is a totally different situation then my much lighter weight rock buggy.

I hope I didn't jinx myself.......... :)

Does the forged steel of the pumpkin take a weld or just the axle tube?

Depends on what housing it is. However, I'd still pre-heat and post-heat and weld it really hot, but you can certainly weld to it.

See, I knew someone who's actually knowledgeable would show up sooner or later. :D

I've heard of people wrapping it in fiberglass batting or other insulated materials to slow the cooling.

Ya i like th idea out tying into dif cover bolts. but the forged will not take a weld??

Yes, it will take a weld, people do it all the time. Search around here for virtually any hardcore build and you'll see housings get welded to. Just do it right. Heat it up, weld it with the proper setting, and make sure it cools slowly.......easiest is to put some heat back on it after welding to make sure it cools slowly. You can search around for welding to cast, or welding to housings, and you'll find more info. Search for posts by Mr. Overkill, Troy probably knows this stuff the best.

Nope, nobody trusses 60's .!.:D.!.

1qg4km.jpg

2h3semv.jpg

Build thread in progress:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1016682

ahh. looks awesome. btw how did you upload photos on to post??

now this part even I can answer;

upload pics to host (site you upload your pics too and will make them available online)
copy and paste the "Image Location" and click on the icon at the top of the Message area that looks like 2 mountains with sun in the background... paste the image location there and press enter... thats it.

Back