• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke my EGR tube- can I make one from copper?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, in the middle of replacing my exhaust manifold. The new manifold fits good so far, but it's Chinese and they didn't put the EGR bung in the same spot. It's really close so I tried to bend it around to get it to fit. After a frustrating hour and a half, I finally broke the damn thing.

Anyway- would regular copper pipe hold up to the heat? I'm pretty sure I could make one that would fit, but just need advice on durability. If it'll burn up quickly I'll just get a new steel one.

Thanks....

I don't know that copper would fail, but were it me, I'd hit a local parts store and ask for a "catalytic converter air tube repair kit"

it will have a section of pipe and some high-temp hose that can be used to patch high heat tubing like the EGR tube you broke. Should cost you about $20.00

I'd say go for it, form yourself one and see how it works. It can't do anything other than break and it's a couple bucks in materials. I found a site where you can buy the tube aftermarket repro for like ten bucks, but for some reason can't find it now.

EDIT: http://mysite.verizon.net/vze12467u/id47.html - can't vouch for them as I haven't bought one, but they have it for ten bucks.

EDIT2: not sure how many they started with, either. That may just be their "hey we have this junk sitting around that we never used" page.

Last edited:
Well, I got it welded by a local shop for about $6. It still doesn't fit, and I'm having a hell of a time bending it. I think I'll look for some flexible hose to put in the middle somewhere. Otherwise maybe I'll cut it in the middle, file at it until it fits, then have that shop weld it again. Any tips on bending would be much appreciated. Right now I'm using 3 large sockets- one on the inside of the bend, 2 on the outside all in a vice and torching it while clamping. It's working a little bit, but mostly just ovalizing the tube. This is incredibly frustrating...

Well, I got it welded by a local shop for about $6. It still doesn't fit, and I'm having a hell of a time bending it. I think I'll look for some flexible hose to put in the middle somewhere. Otherwise maybe I'll cut it in the middle, file at it until it fits, then have that shop weld it again. Any tips on bending would be much appreciated. Right now I'm using 3 large sockets- one on the inside of the bend, 2 on the outside all in a vice and torching it while clamping. It's working a little bit, but mostly just ovalizing the tube. This is incredibly frustrating...
I doubt very much if you'll be able to bend it well. It's thin walled steel, and it's probably pretty brittle. If you stress it too much it can crack right where it enters the fitting at the end, and then it will be pretty nearly impossible to fix. I think you're better off to saw it off and either reweld or splice with tubing.

Well, I got some high-temp silicone tube from CarQuest. The AutoZone guy told me to go there. The tube is blue with an orange layer inside. I was told it is for the EGR system coming out of the cat, so it should hold up to the heat.
Just updating for anyone with a similar problem. If it fails, I'll edit this.

FYI: I was told when you want to bend tubing without collapsing it you can fill the tubing with sand and that will keep the tubing from collapsing while you bend it.

Never tried it myself.

If you try that, make sure you pack it in pretty well.

If you are working with a bare tube without flares on the ends you can also get a set of tubing bending springs, they're effectively coil springs you put around the tubing to keep it from collapsing. Pretty sure they won't work without a lot of hassle if the ends are already flared though.

ya probly easier to just cut bend and reweld. to make it easy leave it a little attached on the outside of the bend and just v notch it and bend it together so it wont move when welding

Well, I got some high-temp silicone tube from CarQuest. The AutoZone guy told me to go there. The tube is blue with an orange layer inside. I was told it is for the EGR system coming out of the cat, so it should hold up to the heat.

I'd hit a local parts store and ask for a "catalytic converter air tube repair kit"

it will have a section of pipe and some high-temp hose that can be used to patch high heat tubing like the EGR tube you broke. Should cost you about $20.00

sounds familiar... glad it's holding up so far-- keep us posted

Back