• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering shimmys when turning the wheel

JeepinXJstyle

NAXJA Forum User
okay my jeep is being a SOB fix it it breaks again. When im driving no matter what speed it is if i turn the wheel to make a turn either way my steering wheel shimmys or pulse back n forth. my hubs , u-joints, control arms , trac-bar, axles, tie-rods, alignment, tire balance , steering stabilizer , pitman arm , drag link , n ball joints are all gooooooddd! everything is tight im very stressed. It not stuck in 4WD i took the driveshaft off. It only does it when your driving. my belt is tight. power steering is good no air in the system but my power steering box leaks. Recently i did some work on the TC but that should have anything to do with this also i just put new shocks on. im about ready to :hang: this XJ is seriously going to be gone soon if i dont fix this POS. any suggestions please shout them out here.

Do they turn freely or is there a bind? Sounds like they may have been installed tight and not stress relieved with a BFH before putting them back in the axle.

Jack up the front end. Turn the wheels to the stop in either direction. Rotate the tires, what happens?

Where the wheels turned when you spun them? Is it speed sensitive, like the faster you go the faster it shimmies? If you roll it back and forth in the drive with the engine off and the wheels cut does it still do it? I wonder if your power steering pump is on it's way out.

Where the wheels turned when you spun them? Is it speed sensitive, like the faster you go the faster it shimmies? If you roll it back and forth in the drive with the engine off and the wheels cut does it still do it? I wonder if your power steering pump is on it's way out.

it does it when ur moving only thats it when im parked it doesnt do it. the PW steering doesnt make any abnormal noises. Im going to work on it now all post what happens hopefully i fix it.

hey first post ever here i just lifted my xj a month ago had the exact same problem it trurned out to be the steering stabilizer mine was brandnew but just wasnt good quality i guess with big tires you gotta get a good heavy duty stabilizer , iam new at this and tried to get the most out my money and went for cheaper to get everything at once um well errr now i know buy good stuff and get it one at a time is always better than buying it all and getting the cheapest stuff

well i checked it out yesterday. I had it in the air running the tires still wobbled when u turn them. I check the hubs rock solid. If u grab my pitman arm and have someone shake the wheel slow u can feel alot of play in the steering box. I adjusted the box and it got i lil better so i am pretty sure i need a new box since everything else on it checked out good.

Back