• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to ID styles of unit hubs

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pile of unit hubs laying around in my spares pile. How do I ID the difference between them? I know that most of them are the early style, but not completely sure. Need a hub to put in the 91 I just bought.

Found this info posted by Eagle:
In general, the parts to be concerned with in keeping the front brakes compatible are the steering knuckles, the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, and the calipers. (There is a more complete enumeration of the interrelationship of these parts in Chapter 6, Axles.)

· Only two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side knuckles are different part numbers within each group.

· Three different hub/bearing units were used. The hub/bearing units are the same for both sides of the vehicle. The different years for hub/bearing assemblies were: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

· Three rotor types were used: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast).

· Only two caliper types were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side calipers are different part numbers within each group.

casting #, a measurement, quick visual ID? Hate to spend $120 on one at the parts store when I have a good servicable one at home.

Thanks.

You can't believe how many threads come up when you search for hub. After playing with different search terms and alot of reading I think I might have found part of the answer.

84-90 hubs have the bearing in the rear of the assebly recessed 1/2".
91-99 hubs have the bearing flush to the rear of the assebly.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=473921&postcount=5

Still no result on the last style of 99-02

Andy

Last edited:
andyr354 said:
You can't believe how many threads come up when you search for hub. After playing with different search terms and alot of reading I think I might have found part of the answer.

84-90 hubs have the bearing in the rear of the assebly recessed 1/2".
91-99 hubs have the bearing flush to the rear of the assebly.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=473921&postcount=5

Still no result on the last style of 99-02

Andy

damn good info. pm me is you have an extra 91-99 you want to part with

Did some measuring tonight.

The hubs I know are 84-90 vintage measure approx 1.85" from the WMS to the surface that mates to the knuckle.

The hubs I think are 91-98 measure approx 2.15".

The local carquest has hubs on hand for 91-98 so I willl measure that tomorrow to double check.

HTH out somebody else someday searching :)

Back