• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

good...cheap rear bumpers

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

Well im looking at becoming a member of a local offroad place this summer. it beats wheeling the same trails behind my place, or having to drive 2 hours to the national forest, so im not worried about having to pay to wheel.

anyways, i meet most of the rig requirements, and i feel like my jeeps is built to the point where its ready to go out and tackle this stuff. 38s, 8.8, 44, locked, etc

the biggest thing i need is recovery points f/r. ive got tow hooks up front, but i need to do something about the back. I figure the rear bumpers beat to hell anyways so its time for a replacement. I REALLY like JCRoffroad rear bumper. follows the body lines very nicely, its just a tad pricey. by the time i pay shipping it would be over 300 bucks. Nates 4x4 is more in my price range at 160, but looks like garbage, and who designs a bumper that sits flush with the hatch. doesn't really do much good there

so im seeing if yall know of any bumpers in the 200 dollar range, that looks decent, and will hold up to a beating

bah....thought about that. dont want do decrease my departure angle, and if im going to spend that much money on a hitch i might as well fork over another 100 and get a new rear bumper that actually offers some protection, i can pull from, and replaces my already bent up one

bah....thought about that. dont want do decrease my departure angle, and if im going to spend that much money on a hitch i might as well fork over another 100 and get a new rear bumper that actually offers some protection, i can pull from, and replaces my already bent up one

You are on 38's You pretty much have the departure angle covered on most obstacles. For 300 dollars the JCR bumper is gonna be one of your best bets. I wouldn't recommend Nates to anyone because of the issues with shipping and customer service. I am ordering the JCR stage 3 rear bumper with tire carrier on Monday. Pretty excited about that!

after doing quite a bit of searching its looking like ill probably be going with the JCR one. ive got a buddy who has the nates4x4 ones. I just cant get over how poorly the rear bumper follows any body lines, or how it offers no real protection as a bumper. every other bumper ive looked out is way out of my price range.

after doing quite a bit of searching its looking like ill probably be going with the JCR one. ive got a buddy who has the nates4x4 ones. I just cant get over how poorly the rear bumper follows any body lines, or how it offers no real protection as a bumper. every other bumper ive looked out is way out of my price range.

Better order it tomorrow. The sale ends tomorrow.

I don't get it, Explain?

I don't get it, Explain?

its like using the hatch as a bumper. If anyone hits you, there's most likely gonna be some damage there. I'm not trying to knock nates4x4. I have his front bumper and like how it looks. He just could have designed the rear a little better.

this pic should explain:
100_1049.jpg

Thanks,I did not realise that nates standard rear bumper was so close to the hatch. I have his swingout rear bumper & it sticks out pretty far from the hatch.

its like using the hatch as a bumper. If anyone hits you, there's most likely gonna be some damage there. I'm not trying to knock nates4x4. I have his front bumper and like how it looks. He just could have designed the rear a little better.

this pic should explain:
100_1049.jpg

I actually think I might get that Nates4x4 rear bumper, it would suit my needs great. I already have a lot of damage to the rear already, some from off roading. Some from getting t-boned, but both of my rear lower quarters are crushed in one way or another( the hatch has a few dents in it too), and several of the bumpers I've looked at that I like are too expensive, need the rear corners to look right, or both. This one though, the price is definitely right, and it doesn't need the rear corners to look ok, but the way it stands now, I have a class 2 hitch as a rear recovery point and no real good rear jacking point, other than the hitch, but thats limited.

n56200983_31238082_4479210.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

Maybe I can salvage some of the looks/function after all.

Not really concerned about getting rear ended either, my bank got the last insurance check, but now the Jeep is all mine, and I'm kind of looking for another XJ to swap everything over to.

Last edited:
You gonna be waiting on that bumper for a while! :D

Buddy of mine waited months for his Nates bumper ... and that included all kinds of calls, emails, and I think even a call the BBB. Yes, its THAT bad.

Is it that bad? I can wait a couple of weeks, but if it's some ridiculous wait....

From what I hear its terrible. The bumper ends look stupid on it IMO. they don't go with the body at all. I like the ends on the JCR rear because flows with the lines of the XJ at least somewhat. That would also explain why I am ordering said JCR bumper on Monday! :D

Is it that bad? I can wait a couple of weeks, but if it's some ridiculous wait....
Search mod tech and non tech for threads about Nate's. Very few people chime in with a good experience. One guy lives local to Nate and still couldn't get a hold of him, driving to his shop to ask about the bumper.

From what I hear its terrible. The bumper ends look stupid on it IMO. they don't go with the body at all. I like the ends on the JCR rear because flows with the lines of the XJ at least somewhat. That would also explain why I am ordering said JCR bumper on Monday! :D

Thats the thing though, my rear lines are all jacked up anyway. I've looked at the JCR bumper, and if I still had a strait rear end I might go with it, but it would look like like a diamond in a goats ass if I put it on mine.

Search mod tech and non tech for threads about Nate's. Very few people chime in with a good experience. One guy lives local to Nate and still couldn't get a hold of him, driving to his shop to ask about the bumper.

Well, back to the drawing board I guess.

Buddy of mine waited months for his Nates bumper ... and that included all kinds of calls, emails, and I think even a call the BBB. Yes, its THAT bad.

Around 2 years back I waited 3 weeks for the front & 4 weeks for the rear tire carrier bumper, And I had him prime both!
They shipped Fed Ex Freight.
They are both rock solid bumpers + The price war great!

Back