• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering slop / DW - questions after researching...

GAJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I posted this in the OEM forum and have had no responses. Hopefully, someone here can help...

Steering slop and wobble (at 50-55 mph) on a 1992 4.0L 4WD with 255K miles. I'm not much of a mechanic and new to the this vehicle, but I am trying to figure it out on my own and do as much of the maintenance / work as I can. After researching steering slop and death wobble and doing the below:

Leave the wheels on the ground. In fact, let some air out of the tires. You want the tires to resist turning so that when your helper turns the steering wheel there is resistance. That's what makes the play show up.

This is best done with an assistant. Park the Jeep with the wheels straight ahead. Have your assistant turn the wheel about 1/4 turn to each side of straight -- maybe not even that much. You don't need or want to actually move the tires, you just want to put load on the steering components. Look at each one carefully. It may help to put on a surgical-type glove and hold each fitting -- sometimes you can feel it flex even if you can't quite see it.

Don't try to watch the whole suspension at once. Do one component at a time or you'll miss something. Also be sure to check the steering box itself, both where the pitman shaft comes out of the box, and the box itself where it mounts to the frame. Also check the upper track bar bracket where it bolts to the frame.
there seems to be a problem where the pitman arm attaches to the drag link. Not sure what the correct terminology is, but when the steering wheel is turned, the pitman arm part of the connection turns (a lot) before the drag link becomes engaged and actually turns the wheels.

From what I have read, I think that I can replace just the bushing on this end and not replace the whole drag link and tie rod. Does this sound correct?

If I can replace this bushing, what do I actually order and what are some good suppliers of stock steering components?

With so much slop at this point, it is hard for me to tell if there is a problem with the tie rod ends. What should I look for on these or do I need to fix this first problem before troubleshooting any further. My concern is that I will end up replacing the bushing and then find out that I should have just done the whole drag link / tie rod assembly

With regards to bushings in general, what type of bushings are available? Are poly bushings better than the others? Also, I know that Daystar sells a bushing kit - does it include the bushing I need?

Lastly, is replacing the bushing in question (or other aspects of the tie rod assembly) pretty straight forward? Can anyone point me to a writeup or point out any potential issues?

Thanks...

Hi..... does your jeep have any lift?

IF not then I would say your tie-rod ends are shot and they are pretty easy to replace. Also is your trackbar and draglink parallel with each other?

With that many miles (if steering parts have not been replaced) its probably time to get some new ends. Also, if you are having slop make sure that all bolts are tight.

EDIT: I know it can happen BUT its unlikely that you have death wobble with a stock jeep. Death wobble is scary... you probably just have sloppy steering

When people refer to "tie rod ends" are they also refering to the end of the drag link that connects to the pitman arm? Are the tie rod and drag link usually referred to as two seperate components are do people also mean the drag link when they talk about the tie rod and/or tie rod ends?

The Jeep in question is stock - no lift - and from the grease and grime, nothing has ever been replaced.

Also, I haven't owned this Jeep (or any Jeep) long enough to debate what is or is not death wobble. At approximately 50-55mph the Jeep front end starts wobbling from side-to-side. The wobble increases the faster you go and only goes away when slowing way down - 30-35mph.

Basic question: if I am going to replace the tie rod ends myself, what do I need to buy? Every site that I go to (Quadratec, 4wheelparts, autozone, etc) uses different terminology and has different prices. I am just looking for some clarification to make sure that I order the correct replacements.

Thanks for the quick response...

The tierod ends are a good place to start. You may as well replace all of them while you are at it. There are four, two on the drag link, and two on the tie rod. The drag link is the rod that goes from the pitman arm (steering box) to the passenger side knuckle/spindle/wheel. There is a Tie Rod End (TRE) on the top of the drag link at the pitman arm, and one on the bottom at the knucle. The tie rod connects 1/5 of the way up the drag link and goes to the drivers side knuckle. Same deal, there are TRE on both ends, replace both. I'm pretty sure all four TRE are the same. If you go to any auto parts store they should be able to help you.

You could get away with just changing one, but chances are if one of them is shot the rest are soon to follow.

If you replace all four TRE's and still have the problem start looking at the bushings in the track bar, and the upper and lower control arms.

jmsull said:
The tierod ends are a good place to start. You may as well replace all of them while you are at it. There are four, two on the drag link, and two on the tie rod. The drag link is the rod that goes from the pitman arm (steering box) to the passenger side knuckle/spindle/wheel. There is a Tie Rod End (TRE) on the top of the drag link at the pitman arm, and one on the bottom at the knucle. The tie rod connects 1/5 of the way up the drag link and goes to the drivers side knuckle. Same deal, there are TRE on both ends, replace both. I'm pretty sure all four TRE are the same. If you go to any auto parts store they should be able to help you.

If it's just the one at the pitman arm that's worn, you can just replace that single joint.

Otherwise, if the one on the passenger knuckle end of the drag link is bad, that's a one-piece rod with the TRE cast into the end of it, and you have to replace the whole drag link assembly. Same with the frame side track bar end.

vetteboy said:
If it's just the one at the pitman arm that's worn, you can just replace that single joint.

Otherwise, if the one on the passenger knuckle end of the drag link is bad, that's a one-piece rod with the TRE cast into the end of it, and you have to replace the whole drag link assembly. Same with the frame side track bar end.

oops, you are correct, no coffee yet, not thinking, thanks.

Back