• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Renix AX-15 with 91 HO engine/ electric

Gjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to figure out if my Renix era AX-15 will bolt up to and work with HO engine/electric. The transfer case & axle I am replacing with a 91+. Anyone done this swap keeping the older AX-15?

You may wind up having to mess with the pilot bearing - the pilot tip diameter changed between the BA10/5 / early AX-15's and later AX-15. I had to make a custom pilot bushing to get it to go together right as I was on a time crunch...never figured out if there was a stock one that would have worked, but it's something to check before you bolt it together.

Everything else should be fine though.

I did it the other way around (AX15 from an HO onto my Renix 4.0). The engine doesn't care what year tranny is behind it, you just have to use the correct flywheel and CPS for the engine management system. And as vetteboy says you may have issues with the pilot bearing. I was fortunate enough to be able to use the stock needle-bearing pilot and the steel bushing that presses into the back of the crank.

Picture021.jpg

Needle bearing on left, bushing on right. The brass bushing in the center I had made at a machine shop and was gonna use until I figured out I needed the bushing....

IMG_2255.jpg

Back