• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from 5.5'' to 3.5''/4.5''

HeepSpeed

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

So I've built the Sour Grape in the SoCal section.

Quickly: Rubicon Express 5.5 Heavy Duty Long Arm kit. SYE, 4.56 gears, 33'' tires. Lockers F+R.

Thoughts: This thing is a monster. I've been driving it for a few months now and I just think that it might be too big. I have found that I don't DO the monster rock trails and that I'm more the adventure style where I'll go baja running like Jeepspeed or just general exploring, but nothing ridonkulous.

What to do?: I spoke to Rubicon Express about going to a lower height and with the Long Arms they said I could do two things:

drop to 4.5'': replace springs, take out shackle for leafs and replace shocks (could still fit 33's with trimming)

drop to 3.5'': replace springs, leafs, shocks and trackbar (might not fit 33's)

So NOW the debate is: WTF to do? Swap with someone with RE components looking to upgrade? Purchase and resell my junk? Keep it large and in charge? I guess I could easily take out the shackle, put the bolt back in and see how she sits at that height to see if it's to my liking???

What are the thoughts from the pros? ...and don't call it blasphemy :hang:

I've seen guys with 4.5 inches of lift and 35's take their jeeps anywhere, 4.5 to 5 inches seems to be the xj's max high before it wants to roll over easily. I'm goiing with 4.5 i got a small coil spacer (.75) in the front and 1.5 shackes in the back with re3.5 springs which will put me right at about 5 inches or so, now that combine with long arms, good shocks, and popper bumpstops with some fender trim you could roll on 33 or 35's depending upon your gearing... just my 2 cents

fitting 33's on a 3.5 is cake.

if you will be more comfortable lower, do it up

I am in the same situation. My rig was originally a trail only rig. I changed jobs and lost the company car so now my rig has been a DD for 2 years or so. I decided to leave the lift as is and change to 32X11.5 BFG AT's. I just did this recently and so far I love it. My shocks are stiff as hell so when I have the cash I will switch to a better shock. I have rear driveline vibes so when I have a shit load of cash witch will never happen I will go to a high pinion with disc brakes, 231 with SYE and new drive line. I am going to dynamat the doors and duraback the floor to help cover up road noise. I am going to put a set of Grand leather seats in it when I find a nice set. I did notice that the more weight I add to the rig the better it rides.

fitting 33's on a 3.5 is cake.

if you will be more comfortable lower, do it up
X2. I fit mine and I haven't trimmed past where the stock flares covered. I could use some bumpstopping, but that's because my rear bumpstops literally don't exist, all that's left is the metal bases, the rest fell off sometime before I bought the XJ.

Back